Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So spray case lube won't contaminate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So spray case lube won't contaminate.
    Posted: July 19 2014 at 3:18am
Really?Angry

It's the only thing I can think of that is "wet" in my reloading process.

I dry tumble, not even using brass polish in the media.
I reloaded these back in September of 2013 & started the box of 50 today.
CCI 200m primers from a brick I've been using with zero problems.
H335 powder that I used to reload just yesterday with no issues.
First 3 were click....bang.
No 4 was just click, no bang.
Waited the 30 secs & opened the action.
The primer fired driving the bullet just into the lands & flinging unburnt powder everywhere.
It smelt "off", not the acetone smell you get from deteriorating powder, but acidic like Pakistani 7.62 does.
Popped the bullet out of the bore & cleaned up the mess.
Loaded & fired again click.
OK were done!
I took one of the (identical) clumps sat it on a patch & lit it. It did burn, but slowly & abnormally with more of the same bad smell & then it left this, not the usual small ash residue.
Luckily I only have about a dozen of these so I'll pull them down & check.
Pics:

Clump & primer.

clump inside edge

clump outside edge

burned clump.

It really looks like lube got into the case mouth & pooled down inside killing the powder dropped in later!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 4:01am
Ouch! A thing like that could ruin your whole day!Angry
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 4:23am
I've been using Lyman quick spray lube for the past year and never had any problems with it. Quick whiff of lube on the case sides using the case holding block then a very quick whiff up the decapping die decap and tumble in corn media with polishing powder mixed in. Any spray that may have found it's way into the case would be absorbed by the cleaning media, When the cases are removed the media comes out bone dry and dirty from the case mouth and primer pocket no sigms of the media clumping due to oil. Any chance of contamination in your powder chucker or on your scales when you made that batch up? Confused
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:42am
Nope not one.
The measure is the same on I've been using for years.
The scale pan is the same one also.

The only thing I've changed is then lube.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 11:09am
What brand were you using, Shamu?  I always try to spray from the side to minimize any lube inside the case.

Ed
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Ed Hill Ed Hill wrote:

What brand were you using, Shamu?  I always try to spray from the side to minimize any lube inside the case.

Ed

Same here.  The lube seems to dry on the outside of the cases and any residue is cleaned off in the tumbler.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:44pm
Its the aerosol Hornady in the red & white can.
I used to spray in loading blocks, but switched to laying flat on a cookie sheet. I think its time to go back to the loading blocks as this is very inconvenient.
My technique may well be part of the problem, it remains though that it will contaminate, regardless of how it got in there!
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 10:15pm
I recon they'll all be similar in composition, loading blocks may be the best way cookie sheet may have caused the problem as the lube won't drain away off it.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 9:53am
I try to line them up staggered in only two rows so I don't have to use much of a down angle. It gets a little in the neck to lube the sizer, but so far no problems.

Ed
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 4:20pm
Fired case.
Inspect cases for obvious damage.
Lube outside using lube pad and Lee lube.
Lube inside case neck with Lyman dry powder and brush.
Wipe any lube off above shoulder with a cloth.
Deprime and size (neck or full).
Inspect case and "feel" for ridges inside case. I use a braising rod, ground down to a point and the point bent just past 90 degrees. Think what a dentist uses.
Trim, debure and clean primer pocket.
Place cases in tartaric acid mix. I use a 2 litre soft drink bottle. Shake gentle for 10 mins.
Mix = 2litres water + 2 teaspoons tartaric acid + 1 teaspoon dish washer liquid.
Strain keeping liquid for later use.
Allow cases to dry. Try time it as the wife takes the baking out the oven. Or just air dry over night.
Tumble for 30 mins in corn cob or whatever you use.
Clean corn cob out of cases. Again a ground down braising rod, sharpened, but this time not bent. Just ground down thin enough to pass through primer hole.
Ready to load.

Cases that have been sitting around for a while can be cleaned with tartaric acid mix to shine them up a bit. Only take a few minutes.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 8:31pm
Where would be the best place to purchase Tartaric acid ?????
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 8:54pm
In the supermarket along with the baking stuff like bicarbonate of soda. It's a powder.

"Tartaric acid is a white crystalline diprotic acid. This aldaric acid occurs naturally in many plants, particularly grapes, bananas, and tamarinds, is commonly combined with baking soda to function as a leavening agent in recipes, and is one of the main acids found in wine.

Tartaric acid also has several applications for industrial use. The acid has been observed to chelate metal ions such as calcium and magnesium. Therefore, the acid has served in the farming and metal industries as a chelating agent for complexing micronutrients in soil fertilizer and for cleaning metal surfaces consisting of aluminum, copper, iron, and alloys of these metals, respectively."

I learned about tartaric acid during basic training back in the 80's. Best stuff to clean buttons and belt buckles. Gives the shine without the need for rubbing. Also you don't get the build up of gunk in all the nooks and crannies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 6:31pm
Silly me! I forgot to mention that you do need to rinse the cases in clean water when you take them out the tartaric acid.

Here is a pic of an old military case that I stood in the mixture of 10 minutes without agitating. The bottom (head) of the case was in the mixture. The top (neck) wasn't.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 12:03pm
guess there is more i need to learn in this lifetime - thanks for posting this 
Long branch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long branch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 1:15pm
I lube my cases with RCBS lube dissolved in denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. I put my cases in a bowl, give them.a couple squirts t and roll them around. Then, I shake the bowl to turn them up and spray over the tops to lube inside the case mouths. I do my sizing and put the casings into lemon juice diluted with water. I let them sit over night, shaking the bucket occasionally to keep things stirred up and loosen the fouling. The next morning, I pull them out of the solution and rinse them in a butter bowl with hot water and dawn dish soap. This neutralizes and removes the acid and any fouling still clinging. Then I put them out in the sun on a towel or, on rainy days, in my shop with a fan blowing. The sun dries them out pretty quickly. The resulting cases aren't shiny, but they are clean and dry.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 9:00pm
I'm the dinosaur, I tumble in dry media!Sick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic