Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of Lundy's Lane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of Lundy's Lane
    Posted: July 24 2014 at 7:36pm
Today marks the 200th anniversary of the famed BATTLE of LUNDY'S LANE, at the Falls of Niagara. It was a huge turning point in the history of U.S & Canada and the war of 1812.(In 1814)
It was fought a couple kilometers from the falls.
Noted as the most severe and savage battle of the war, it raged thru the night.
The Americans had been advancing along the Canadian side of the Niagara, & had just won a battle at Chippawa creek. Now they advanced again-hoping to capture Ft.George, before moving along the western shore of Lake Ontario.
By the time the battle was fully joined it was after 7 p.m.
Drummond failed to protect the British guns with his infantry, & most of the artillerists were bayoneted while loading the guns. Although the Americans captured the guns - they failed to carry them off.
As the battle wore on, both sides volley fired at a range so close-the bayonets near touched.
The U.S eventually had 2,500 men on the field.Casualties were high: 173 Americans killed, 571 wounded, 38 missing, 79 captured.
British / Canadian losses: 84 Killed, 559 wounded, 42 captured, 193 missing.
It was well after midnight when the fighting ceased.The British & Canadians remained on the field. In the light of early morning, they were surprised to find the Americans had withdrawn.
The Americans withdrew to Ft.Erie, & Drummond led a slow persuit, leading to the siege of Ft.Erie.
The implications of this were huge. After Lundy's Lane, the Americans were no longer able to invade Upper Canada again. Once the Americans had abandoned Ft.Erie, it had become the final incursion into the province by American forces.
The battle is viewed as a major victory for British /Canadian forces, not only because the Americans yielded the field, but because it blunted the planned invasion of Upper Canada & the American seizure of Burlington Hieghts.
200 years of peace...that's a pretty good show
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 1:06am
Dang! It sounds like we missed our chance to liberate Canada and steal your oil too.Evil Smile
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 1:52am
Well,the Fennians tried to "Liberate" us..but those attempts failed, too.
As for the oil..you been taking quite a bit of it.(28% of imported American oil). But I guess y'all don't want the pipeline - so they plan to ship it to China.(I dunno if that's a good idea).
The American gov't had said that the taking of the Canadas would,"only be a matter of marching." They thought that we wouldn't fight..& accept the U.S. army as liberators. They also knew the King had his hands full on the continent with Napoleon. They underestimated our resolve. The bulk of the U.S army was kept in Louisiana, & as the war dragged on up here, it became a deadlock. Once Europe was settled, it would only be a short time before the full might of Britain's Royal navy & her battle hardened veterans would be turned loose on America.That wouldn't end well..but it has worked out pretty good since, I'd say.
Hoadie
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 5:05am
We will be back!

The third time the charm.

You will be assimilated!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 7:38am
Resistance is futile!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 9:39am
Dont forget Hoadie!!!  I came up there walked right across the border and drank Canada Dry !!!
Ha!!!!  We even have a picture of me drinking Canada Dry!!!!! Right under the Brocks monument!!!!

Here is the monument.

And yes we climbed it ! Here is proof, Look how wore out Hoadie looks!!!!

And here is a picture of Hoadie and Me at Ft. George !!! in one of the towers.

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 9:55am
DANG! Those were good days, Rhino!(I still aint bin sent the pics you & Lisa took while here)
Hoadie
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:04am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

We will be back!

The third time the charm.

You will be assimilated!

Well, bring it on. Just -please - tell us in advance. We gotta find a place to put y'all when you become p.o.w.s (Canada aint never lost a war she was in..& we got "mama" aka: Big Bad Britain, as our back up)
But we wont let anybody get hurt..we're "kinder & gentler". Our "Hearts & Minds" campaigns are more along the line of goin to a bar, & drinkin beer til you see the light.
Not to worry...you can sign the application for citizenship when you sober up! We're not barbarians, after all.
Hoadie
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:09am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

DANG! Those were good days, Rhino!(I still aint bin sent the pics you & Lisa took while here)
Hoadie

Yea, Joe and I tried to load them on your camera, but it wouldnt take...I was going to put them on a jump drive and never found the one I had..
When I get off work next month and if I remember I will get a jump drive and load them up....
Sorry 'bout that Hoadie ...
When I posted them pics, I thought about it and remembered you never got them....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 7:30pm
I just wish you folks were more careful with your shirts.http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/exercise-caution-wearing-a-canada-shirt
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 8:23pm
Thanx Jon..never seen that before. But...ahem...by the by, its spelled HONOUR = not HONOR
Just sayin
Hoadie
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 8:44pm
Big smile
On a more serious note I know little of the battle of 1812. I checked my small military history collection and came up with nada. Zed's and Sarge's post about WW1 got me in that frame of mind So I'm reading Eye deep in he!! : Trench warfare in WW1. Followed by 3 volumes of World War Events written in 1919. Then I guess I will have to see what the Library has on 1812.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 9:06pm
"you can sign the application for citizenship when you sober up! We're not barbarians, after all. "

No need in my case, I'm from The City of London, on the River Thames, in the County of Midsdlesex, & it ain't in EnglandWink
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 1:31am
I am half Canadian and still look at Canada,America,s best friend.

Be careful about what you say about my Souther Brother, Haodie.

He is with the FBI, female body inspecttor.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

"you can sign the application for citizenship when you sober up! We're not barbarians, after all. "

No need in my case, I'm from The City of London, on the River Thames, in the County of Midsdlesex, & it ain't in EnglandWink

Funny that Shamu.We have a London here as well. ..& its on the Thames(well, nearby), & its in Middlesex County, as well..But in ONTARIO.
Stratford - just outside London, is on the Thames River.

..& Jon..It wasn't a "battle". It was an all out gut blasted war.The defenders of the Canadas were hugely outnumbered. Still tho-we managed to burn the White House in Washington. (Maybe thats why they don't let us in any more?)
We took Detroit, as well. HA! That'll learn ya!
We did that, cuz you guys set fire to YORK (now Toronto). When the Yanks skiddadled, they decided to stop & burn the village of St.Davids(Not any military target..& the U.S. commander was court martialled for it). Thus started the burnings on the border.
Ugly war, in all.
To think - all that time we coulda been partying instead!
Hoadie
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 10:21am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

I am half Canadian and still look at Canada,America,s best friend.

Be careful about what you say about my Souther Brother, Haodie.

He is with the FBI, female body inspecttor.

You tell em Paddy!Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic