Well it's not the Rifle!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well it's not the Rifle!!
    Posted: September 19 2014 at 3:40pm
I'm still practicing too Thumbs Up Thats the fun part!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 1:30pm
I missed that pic of that group the first time around... That is stunning! I concur, gwpercl, some of us have to practice for years and never quite master it! I have been shooting regularly with No1 Mk III*'s since I was 15 years old and in these 24 years of practice I still can't come close to that kind of group!
gwpercle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwpercle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 8:37am
I hate to say it but so many new shooters go to the range, come back disillusioned with their groups and immediately start blaming everything they can think off not even considering the real problem.
They can't shoot.    Some people have a natural ability, but most of us have to practice for years to become decent shots.   I was born with a bit of natural ability to shoot a handgun  but with a rifle  lots of practice was  required to become just half way decent ( still not in Charlie's league).  Putting cross hairs on a target and yanking the trigger is not all there is by a long shot.  Maybe if these guys had a computer controlled trigger they could master it.

Charlie's got it down,  that is one impressive group.  Wish I could take a few lesson's from him.  Now he can shoot!
Gary

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 6:30am
I took a photo of Charlie's target, this is his first time shooting my No4 Mk1/2. 
5 rounds 1/2" between centres at 50 yards
The ammo is Remington case, 174gr Sierra Match king orgive and 39,4 grains of Tubal 3000.

I've got work to do to beat that!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 3:11am
If I can get my No1MkIII* to shoot well then I will probably let Charlie use the No4 in Next years military rifle competitions. I got 4th place last year in our regional finals with that rifle. I think he could win it outright and I would love to see a Lee Enfield beat all the other stuff ! If I can get a good place with the No1 I'd be happy because it would be the rifle I've accurised. The No4 was Fulton's many years ago.

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 12:38am
People like that are interesting to watch. They simply have a sort of instinct when it comes to aiming a weapon. It's quite fascinating and rare to see.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 6:18pm
I had a mate like that Zed, a member of our unit shooting team and one of my RAEME lads.
 He went on to become Champion shot of the Army for two consecutive years back in the L1A1 days.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 4:29am
Occasionally you meet someone who is really talented; not just good at what they do, but just completely natural talent that makes it all look so easy. Such was the case during my range test at our club last week.
I'd taken along my No4 Mk1/2 rifle as well as the No1 I was testing, (because I needed to finish off a box of ammo prior to resizing for the new bolt head)
Charlie is one of our regular members; he is a rare talent, he can shoot anything well and members are always saying he's from another planet. So Saturday Charlie walks over for a chat and see what's going on; I say here Charlie, try the No4, there's 5 rounds left to finish off.
So we put up a small target at the 50 metre range; he lies prone to shoot and I sit down with the scope to watch.
First time using my rifle, round 1 and 2 are 1/4" apart, No3 joins them up and 4 and 5 join in on the edge to make one 5 sided clover that is 1/2" between centres.

I was impressed! Charlie was happy with that; and I realised that:
a) the rifle works perfectly
b) the load is good
c) I've got a 1MOA rifle
d) I've got a lot of work to do to improve from my 3 to 2 MOA results!!

Oh! and I forgot to mention, he is left handed so has to un-shoulder the rifle to work the bolt.

I'm keeping the target for inspiration!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic