Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

maximum range for .303

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esoxhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: maximum range for .303
    Posted: January 17 2007 at 3:30pm
this is really a dumb newbie question, but what is the maximum range a .303 can be shot with reasonably good accuracy ?
My No4MK1 has an "L" type sight that says 300 or 600. Is that meters ?
I am mainly a rimfire enthusiast and this is my first centerfire rifle. Don't make too much fun of me LOL

PS: HOADIE: I still have no idea how you know me
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 6:19pm

Not a dumb question at all mate. We all have to learn and I have learned a lot off the lads on here. They may fool around and insult each other but they'd never make a fool of a newbie asking a genuine question.  Accuracy will depend on the state of the barrel ammo you use and your eyesight.  My 16 year old lad can and has dropped 8ex 10 in the black at 600 yards using standard battle sights on a no4 . I'm pretty sure if he can do it you can with practice .

My guide dog says the targets thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 7:43pm
600 yards! man im happy with 400 open sights...but then again my hunting style is probably out of the ordinary..
yep theyre yards bein measured there esoxhunter..
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 1:21am
Doug:
There is NO dumb questions here, when it comes to shootin irons.It may seem dumb to you - but NOT to us.If you don't know, what are you supposed to do..guess? That usually leads to a less than favourable outcome.As Allan rightly says - those are YARDS on your sights (unless they've bin re - worked by someone) & yous doesn't appear that way.
I have a #1 Mk III that was @ the battle of Vimy Ridge (WWI).@ 100 yds - open sights - 150 grn ammo - she will consistently split the center of the cross hairs, on the target.My sport - same vintage - is equally accurate, & I have dropped deer @ 200 + yards.
So...snuggle up with your Enfield, & get to know your sights..you'll be well rewarded!!
(Wanna go fishin?)
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 1:35am
With Target Peeps they used to use em out to 1000yrds on Full bore ranges ! I reckon 200 yrds is plenty for most game .

Dave
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 9:37am

esoxhunter, one thing and one thing only! the only Stupid question is the ONE you don't/did'nt ask!!!!!!!  so ask away...

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 9:47am
 have a #1 Mk III that was @ the battle of Vimy Ridge (WWI).@ 100 yds - open sights - 150 grn ammo - she will consistently split the center of the cross hairs, on the target

What he isn't telling you is he was at the battle of Vimy ridge!   Big%20smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 2:25pm
Dammit Tony!!! Do ya hafta tell EVERYTHING ya know?!
Hoadie
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by dave h dave h wrote:

With Target Peeps they used to use em out to 1000yrds on Full bore ranges ! I reckon 200 yrds is plenty for most game .   Dave

Your right there, Davey! pretty rare that you get a "long" shot @ a deer. Their usually moving @ the speed of light, through bush that would rival Kokoda!!!
They might only be 50 yds away from ya..but I'll tell ya, they put a whole new meaning to the term,"Fast Food"
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 3:22pm
kokoda!!!??? same here hoadie..i love my shotty huntin...love strolling through shoulder high lignum, the sounds and squeals! the tingles down ya spine..then the sensation of a 100 kilo boar beltin ya in the shins on his frantic scurry to freedom...Censored
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:41pm
100 kilo boar? You met my ex ma in law then?  Dead
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 3:29am
well dave usually bumps into my ma-inlaw when hes up north shootin buff..Big%20smile
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 7:34am
Man i feel for ya Guys! I get along with my Mother inlaw real well, she had 2 daughters and I've got the only one still married. so that makes me the Good and Favorite Son in law . Plus my Wife was Pa inlaws Favorite so that puts me in good with the old man too. Evil%20Smile  
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 8:02am
Hey Mother in law Bashing time ! You beauty !Big%20smile

No I really should'nt say that about her ! She (My mother in law ) is one of the only famous people I know ! She went down to the Antartic with Scotts party ! ..................................Was'nt the Cold that killed em !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Dave
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 8:21am
OOOH !!!!! Dave! lets see if any one can tope that?
"White Rhino"

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 1:41pm

yeh, well GOODYEAR wanted advertisments rights on my ma in-law!Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic