Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service load duplication

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 1:49pm
Varget looks (& maybe meters) like a ball powder, but I think its a short extruded single-base powder.
From Hodgden's web page:

"The first of Hodgdon's revolutionary Extreme Extruded Powders, VARGET features small extruded grains for uniform metering, insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures and higher energy for improved velocities over other powders in its burning speed class. Easy ignition and clean burning characterize other features that translate into superb accuracy, higher scores and more clean, one shot kills. The perfect powder for competitive Match shooting 223 Remington and Heavy bullets. Outstanding performance and velocity can be obtained in such popular cartridges as the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 375 H&H and many more. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers."

When it came out first some years back I tried it in 7.62mm but was most unimpressed. I do notice 2 things now though, the load data has significantly changed & in an UPWARD direction.
They list loads for 150 gr .303 British from 39.0gr for 2458FPS through 43.0gr for 2656FPS.

Interestingly the listed max load for 7.62 with a 150 gr MAX was listed @41.2, but behaved like a light load, very dirty burning & erratic for velocity. The new list is 42.3~46.5, the new minimum being higher Bearing in mind the data would also indicate a below minimum load today, I wonder if the old data was correct?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 11:43pm
Shamu vhit n133 with a sierra 150grain sp,start load 38.4 grains gives 2753fps. I use this for deer stalking.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 4:19am
Vectan SP7 is good powder for .303 and 7.62. However in my Dillon rig I found that it's grains are small and I was getting a sprinkle of powder occasionally onto the turntable.
 The stick powders such as the Tubal 5000 and 3000 don't dose that well in the rig either; so I bought an electronic balance doser.
Now for all my rifle ammo I hand load the powder and go back to the rig for seating the bullet. It's a bit more time consuming, but better off when you get to the range.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 5:19am
Thanks, guys, now I have to see who has what that I can buy.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 7:08pm

sorry to be late, but I'll throw in a suggestion for reloader 15.  Short stick powder, and gets service level performance with a max load and 174 grn bullet.  303 British.com got the best accuracy results with this powder (several years ago).

Ed  
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 5:08am
Again, not a ball powder but not like 3031;
Norma # 202 is wonderful in the .303.  (If you can find it!)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 9:10am
Well I found some IMR 4895 & some Varget, so I got a bit of each to test later today.
Aimng for 2550FPS out of 150 Gr pills in the No4 so it's 39.2, 39.4 & 39.6 gr of Varget & 41.1, 41.3 & 41.5 gr of 4895 over the chrony to see what I get in the real world.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 3:14pm
Update:
Made it to the range, some interesting results for first time run with 2 unfamiliar powders.
I need to compile results & digest he info a bit, but some results were a bit odd to say the least.
Varget was 150FPS lower than indicated across the board & IMR4895 had unexplained "outliers" that I need to process a bit before commenting.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 4:40am
The rifle was my No4 Mk2
150 gr Hornady .312" pills & R-P brass Primers were KVB7 from Tula.
The Varget was interestingly low compared to the manuals velocities, but consistent, the consistently around 24.4 once I got the pressures & velocities to come up a bit.
39.2gr gave me 2361
39.4 (factory recommendation for 2550 fps) gave a wimpy 2383
& upping the charge to 39.6 let it creep up to 2385!
These were all "Middle of the road" loads so I'm guessing I need to go to 42 gr. a grain below the max suggested.

The IMR 4895 was more promising.
41.1gr gave 2480 with an  SD of 22.1

41.3gr upped it to 2526 with the SD of 31.6, but one round was an outlier with 2577fps, so eliminating that the SD dropped to 13.8 & the average velocity to 2514!

Going to 41.5 gr the velocity climbed to 2536 & the SD to 19.6, but again there was an outlier, this time in the opposite direction it went low to 2503FPS!
Discarding that the average for 4 rounds was 2545 & the SD dropped to 6.4.

I'll try another run @ 41.7 gr for 2550 & see what happens there.I have wiggle room as the max is listed at 44.2.

I'm at a loss to explain the outliers. Powder was weighed to 1/10 gn, not thrown. brass.bullets, primers & so on were all from the same box.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 1:56pm
I like the flat base 150g Sierra Game King out to 300 yards then it's the 174g Match King out to 600 yards + in as new barrels.

Cheers

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic