Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ROF No4 MK1 Rear Sight MOD. ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROF No4 MK1 Rear Sight MOD. ?
    Posted: January 11 2015 at 6:06pm
Can someone please explain to me, what's the purpose for cutting off the two rear sight mounting tabs on a No4 MK1 Enfield ?  This makes no sense to me, I cant even put the original rear sight back on ! Cry
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 11:30pm
It might have been done to allow the fitting of a side mounted target sight - I have seen a couple of range rifles like that.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 5:02am
On sporters it was done for "cleaner lines", along with hacking off the charger bridge sometimes.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
bgoldstuff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 7:11am
Thanks for the info guys, This must not have been a very popular practice because of the many, many, many pics of Enfields I have looked at on the web and I have not seen another like it.

I have even looked at different scope and rear sight mounts figuring maybe this was the reason for removing them? The ones I have seen used either one or both tags to secure them also.  So maybe someone could help me out with the correct rear mount I will need so I can fasten a rear sight. Thanks
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 9:03am
Can you post a picture of your rifle?

It would help us to get you something that will fit but we need to see exactly what was done so we can get you the right part.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 9:13am
Awesome Shamu, Thank you !  It is going to take me a few days to get a pic for you, I have had my hands full with all this extreme cold weather we have been receiving. Thanks Again for all the help! Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 7:28am
I am back with a few pics, now I need a little help trying to load them.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 7:31am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 7:32am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 7:36am
OK, FINALLY figured it out. Maybe that little notch out of the wood has something to do with the possible scope mount? Then you can also see the swedged  barrel, I know how that happens, I just don't know where it happened!  What type of barrel would I want to replace it with?
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 1:59pm
Are there any more tapped holes further along the action not pictured?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 2:06pm
Nope, That's it !  It  just Baffles why some one would have done that ?  All The scope mounts I have seen mounted on the 303, have used the rear sight tab.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 2:23pm
How many posts do I need before my replies wont be pending approval ? Thanks
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 5:07pm
20 posts are required before no longer needing approval.

Eric
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 5:10pm
Thanks Eric, I was starting to think I might have to hand this information quest off on to my Grandchildren and there not born yet ! LOL  I am one more closer ! LOL  Thanks again Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoldstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 5:12pm
This is the one ! No. 20 ! The Big 2O !  Yea !  I am in! Smile Sorry ! lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic