Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.62 Nato conversion... Difficult?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed and Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.62 Nato conversion... Difficult?
    Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:18pm
I've heard of No4 and No5 conversions to 7.62 NATO... What's involved? Difficulty, expense? Anyone here done it?

Inquiring minds want to know (or just dimwits like me...)  ;)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 7:03am
New barrel, magazine, bolt face, for starters.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 7:15am
There at one time were kits to convert No4s to 7.62 Nato rifle of various configurations but these dried up a long time ago  the occasional odd bit appears on ebay.  There is a Franken rifle that some importers made out of Ishapore 2As that have a shorter barrel and a No5  Flash hider/bayonet lug fitted to.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:26am
As Paddy says plus the actions aren't proofed for comercial ammo. There have been instances over here where the reciever has cracked due to overpressure. The brit NRA insists on the existing weapons being reproofed before they are used on Bisley Ranges and the loads are reduced to a safe maximum.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:32pm
they are making new made rifles in this - somebody here will tell you who and ahere as i cannot recall off hand , 
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:09am
Difficult,  no not really, once you have the parts :)

Expensive - well, yes it can be.

The only hardware I needed to get mine converted was a new barrel, magazine, extractor, and a charger guide adapter insert to suit the 7.62 chargers.  Used the existing .303 bolthead without modification.

Requirements for testing/reproofing will depend upon your local laws.

Some people will say that it is necessary to get machining work done on the action to make the magazine feed properly; I have been lucky that this has not been necessary on any of my rifles (all are Long Branch or Savage actions) 
Dazed and Confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed and Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:04pm
A2,
You're thinking of the AIA M10 series... They are interesting but not what I'm looking for... An actual conversion of a real No4.

Max,
Yes, what you posted is what I remember reading. It isn't that hard with the right parts.
Did you do the work yourself or have a gunsmith do it? (You do own a silver hammer don't you? :^)

No reproofing required that I am aware of here in the US as well on my private range... ;~)

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 6:57am
Well , I have an Odd Reciever out in the shop ...would have to see if its a No1 or and No4 ...cant remember from when I boxed it up last !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Ettiene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ettiene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 12:24pm
Can you convert the mk4 no2 to 308 using the existing standard action?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 2:46pm
With one or two minor changes yes.
Bolt head, ejector screw & magazine.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ettiene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ettiene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 2:57pm
why do people say that the mk4 bolt is to weak for 308 pressure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 3:47pm
Why do you need to change the bolt head?  Only really need to change the extractor; can even  use a 303 extractor with suitable modification.

Probably take the ejector screw right out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused wrote:

A2,

Max,
Yes, what you posted is what I remember reading. It isn't that hard with the right parts.
Did you do the work yourself or have a gunsmith do it? (You do own a silver hammer don't you? :^)

No reproofing required that I am aware of here in the US as well on my private range... ;~)

I got a gunsmith to do the work. Had the action checked and stamped by SAF Lithgow.
Ettiene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ettiene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 4:25pm
how do i post a pic of the bolthead?
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Ettiene Ettiene wrote:

why do people say that the mk4 bolt is to weak for 308 pressure.

THE BOLT AND ACTION WILL NOT STAND THE PRESSURE OF COMERCIAL GRADE 308 AMMUNITION.

See my post above dated

25 January 2015 at 6:26pm
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 8:39pm
Please people the 7.62x51mm (Nato) and .308 Winchester are NOT THE SAME CALIBRE.

To start with the case dimensions are different.
308/7.62 all in mm
Bullet 7.82/7.82
Case length 51.18/51.05 (-0.13)
Rim 11.94/11.94
Base 11.94/11.84 (-0.1)
Shoulder 11.53/11.35 (-0.18)
Neck 8.74/8.58 (-0.16)
OAL 69.85/69.85

Secondly they are designed to work at different pressures. The 308 being a higher pressure. Hence the mistaken belief that military 7.62 ammo is safe to fire in a 308.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic