Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

------------------------------------

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed and Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ------------------------------------
    Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:22pm
-------------------------------------------
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 3:17am
Everyone says they kick..I don't find my No5 kicks much more than my No1.
Guess it all depends upon your load
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Dazed and Confused View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed and Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 5:27am
Hoadie,
What's your load data?

I haven't owned a real No5 since the early '80s. I had about six Lee Enfields back then and  don't remember the No5 kick any more than a No1 or No4... "Back then" being the operative words...+30 years ago. Amazing what youth and memory can do for you.

Today however, after converting an Ishy 2A to a "Jungle Carbine" clone, I find that there is more felt recoil when shooting 7.62 NATO ammo. 

When I first was shooting the converted 2A I didn't notice the kick too much but I was wearing a T-shirt with heavy canvas shirt over that and a very heavy insulated canvas coat over that. I shot 30 rnds one day and another 40 rnds a couple days later.... 

When the weather warmed up I shot the same rifle with just a T-shirt and windbreaker jacket.... After 20 rnds I was sore and that for the next 4 days... Now the 2A retained the original butt stock which is larger than the No.5 style. 

Both the 2A carbine and the No5 clone are almost 2 lbs lighter than they were before. Tey are both about 7.5 lbs.

For the foreseeable future I plan on shooting standard military loads through each.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 5:30am
"Guess it all depends upon your load"
Absolutely.
My #5 is noticeably softer kicking with a 150 instead of a 180 gr load. Unfortunately it likes the 174 Gr bullets.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed and Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 5:59am
---------------------------------------
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 9:17am
I wish it was that simple, the No4 prefers the 150 grain rounds the exact opposite!Wacko
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed and Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:34am
-------------------------------------
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:37am
That's  very nice conversion from a 75 dollar rifle, well done!
it will be worth trying some different loads and bullet weights to see what suits best and what suits the rifle.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bundook303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundook303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:51am
Congratulations Dazed, that's a good looking rifle.  It's always nice to see some TLC being spent on a worthwhile project.  Great job.

I grew up listening to my dad telling me all about the legendary "303" that kicked like a mule.  Once I actually owned one I realised that his was the memory of a scrawny 18 year old National Service conscript from London who had never shot anything in his life before being called up.  Of course it kicked like a mule!  I've had a lot of fun teasing him about this for years.

Enjoy your new rifle!
LERA 164
NRA Life
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 1:05pm
I really don't know. I suspect its an individual preference thing of some type. It's a pity as I have a good selection of components for 150 Gr but very little set up for the heavier bullets, including bullets!
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 1:33pm
I've found that 125gr heads are very comfortable to shoot.
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 1:34pm
Very. Unfortunately bot my #4 & my NO5 absolutely hate themDead
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 3:11pm
I use factory loads - 150 grn. I usually only use the #5 for target etc.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic