Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1907 Bayonet, what can you tell me about it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Que Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1907 Bayonet, what can you tell me about it?
    Posted: April 03 2015 at 1:52am
I have the following 1907 Wilkenson.  It fits my 1941 Lithgow NoI MkIII* SMLE.  I believe it  was made in 1917.  Is this the correct bayonet for this rifle.  Any suggestions on how to go about cleaning it up a bit?

I have not found any additional marking on this one.  I do have another Bayonet (That does not not fit the Lithgow, Can post pic later if needed) the metal parts on the scabbard are stamped OA which I believe associates it with Australia.  The leather is brown and is stamped "MANGROVITE '42" on one side of the seam and on the other side is an upward pointing arrow with a B and then a little farther down a W.  the bayonet itself is stamped 1913, 10   17, Remington inside a circle.  on the other side has what looks like a rooster head over the number 20 and round bomb with maybe flames coming out the top over US.  Again I can / will post pics later.  Any Ideas on this one?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 3:19pm
its fine for that rifle , soak brass wool [4ought steel if you have to] in oil and gently remove the rust but do not overclean it , it was in fact made in december of 1917 by wilkinson , scabbard looks good to , appears to have the early almond shaped stud for the frog , a little gentle cleaning and these will be perfect for your rifle , 
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 5:39am
I remember when brand new looking bayonets of this type sold for one Pound each!

Looks a nice one.  The '17 is when it was accepted in to service.
For the leather, give it a doing with Dubbin or Neatsfoot oil to preserve it and keep it supple.

The other one you mention sounds like a Remington, for the US P'17.  If so, it will have two grooves cut accross the grip.
This one as you say won't fit your rifle, as the ring will be too small for a SMLE.
The scabbard for this second one sounds like it is made in Australia.
Metal parts stamed OA = Orange,(Aust) plus you have stamps on it for Bathurst, and Wellington (Aus) by the sounds of it. 
Just need the right bayonet to put in it and Bob's your uncle!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 8:14am
I've never found "dubbin" in the US. The closest product here seems to be something called "Pecard's Leather conditioner".
http://www.pecard.com/
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 2:35pm
I could pick you up a tin of Dubbin, if you'd like.
I use it to water - resist my boots & leather mittens
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Que View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Que Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 2:03am
Thanks everyone for the tips.  Is there any non destructive method to clean/remove the rust to revel the bluing again.  0000 Steel wool has be suggested but Im not sure I want to try that. I feel that it would do more damage then good.  Can I us Linseed oil on the wooden handle like I did on my rifles?

Thanks again,
Q
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 5:11am
Thanks, Hoadie, but I have a big tub of the Pecards.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 5:11am
Yes you can linseed the wood handle.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 7:31am

Using '0000' steel wool on its own Censored is one of the most destructive methods anyone can think of. Please... Shocked do not use it in that manner.

Have a piece of '0000' to hand (balled, not as a flat pad) then apply a liberal coating of oil first to the section of the metal item you wish to clean. The oil acts as both a barrier and lubricant in order for the '0000' to do its job. Whilst applying moderate but constant pressure to the '0000', use in a circular motion about the area to be cleaned... staying within the oiled portion. Continue wiping off old dirty oil, then replacing with fresh until the required result is achieved. You will find that the rust will visibly lift into the oil. Most encrusted surface corrosion can be removed in this manner.

The above method is equally effective for removing paint on both metal and wooden surfaces. Rest assured, the item being cleaned with the above method will not be damaged in any way.... if the procedure is followed correctly and with care. Thumbs Up

This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 7:01pm
yes to be sure lots of oil with steel wool - finest you can find , but better yet brass wool , that is the best choice 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic