Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 May

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 May
    Posted: April 30 2015 at 7:18am
Some people see tomorrow just as a communist holiday. Others will celebrate it the pagan way. 
Well May is the first of four months that are spelled without an "R". Those months are also consecutive. And it signals the official opening of our hunting season.

Rifles and shotguns cleaned and fouled. Knives sharpened. Freezer space allocated. Biltong hooks clean.

I could swear that all the game was out today. Even the bushbuck, at midday! Tomorrow morning I'll see squat.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 8:28am
What all kind of game do you hunt?
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 8:45am
Women!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 1:09pm
Ahhhhh! Biltong! great stuff, way better than jerky.
I even came up with a biltong inspired steak marinade/rub for the BBQ.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 1:15pm
If anyone other than me was wondering what Biltong is, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 4:17pm
Goes great with beer I would imagine! Heck even bacon and eggs for breakfast goes good with beer in camp...after a night of revelry and imbibing around the campfire!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 5:13pm
Interesting !!!!!  May have to try and make some !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 8:24pm
There should be lots of places that make biltong over there. Plenty South Africans living in the States and no true Saffer can go more than a month without some biltong. Look for a nice stick that's still a bit soft in the inside and has a nice piece of fat on it.

I'm hoping to get a nice kudu this year. I've been watching them the last 2 years. They come across from my neighbour when we have finished cutting the maize. There is a bachelor herd of about 8. One big bull, 2 1/2 twists at the least.

We also have lots of Reedbuck, Bushbuck, Warthog and Bushpig. Pigs we shoot all year round, along with crows, spurwing and monkeys.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 8:59pm

I want to try an Eland, DF.
I'd even like to try a Gnu....  They look sort of 'beefy'!~
Had a good friend with land on the S. side of the Zambezi, leopards kept eating his dogs.

In the earlier times, they used a cooking pot, cast iron. (his term was something like a "poiky poss")  And, I am sure I am murdering Aafricaan!
They fried meat in the bottom, then added vegis,  taties, and half a cabbage on the top.  Set it in hot ashes and it was all cooked when they got back at night.  Gave me his old pots he did.
Enjoyed his biltong.
Mike  Passed on far too soon.

I see Waterbuck isn't at the top of your menu, DF!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 9:16pm
Eland is good. Big animal. In the 90's we purchased 2 licenses from my neighbour and shot them on his place. Both dressed out at over 500 kilos! Live weight about 1000 kilos (1 tonne).

Gnu or wildebeest are shot a lot and breed well. Lots are taken with bows. Not as much meat as you would expect but worth while. About 200 kilos live and 125 kilos dressed.

Waterbuck have one problem. They have a very oily substance on their skin and in the hair. If this comes into contact with the meat it will taint the meat so badly that it's inedible. They have beautiful horns though and make great trophies. Even the small ones. Unfortunately we don't get them where I am.

Potjiekos or "pot food" is basically a slow cooked stew. A cast iron pot is used. Normally a three leg model, but a flat base will also work. Lots of meat, veg and gravy. The longer it cooks the better the taste. Works well with tough meat. Works the same as a slow cook crock pot.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 5:18am
I've never found commercially made biltong here in the US. Some South African expats make it at home with dehydrators though.

If you want to try the taste get a steak for the BBQ.
lay it in a non reactive (glass) tray & splash a little Malt vinegar on it. After about 5 minutes flip it & splash a little more on the other side.

While the steak is pickling & tenderizing in the vinegar make up a 3:2:1 mix of coriander (3 parts), Brown sugar (2 parts) , salt & black pepper (one part each).

lift & drain, but don't pat dry, the meat & dredge or dry rub the 3,2,1, mix on both sides. Slow cook in a low oven until evenly done to taste.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 6:49am
Thanks for the reply, DF.

The pots Mike left me are 3 legged cast iron with the lid.
I think I Did Murder the spelling didn't I ?

How did the hunting go?
I'd also like to try Tommy chops.  :-)

Waterbuck;
I have a single horn.  Found it in the "oil house" at the old farm in Yorkshire. had the end cut off and had been used as a funnel.  I scrounged it as a bairn and made a powder horn of it.
Still have it.
Good luck in your hunting!

R.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 6:51am
There are some stores in NC. Costs about the same as our local stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 8:13am
Where in NC?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 8:22am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 8:48am
Good to know.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic