Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom rifle racks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom rifle racks!
    Posted: May 19 2015 at 11:53am
Yeah, yeah I know, but he does great stuff, it even fits Lee Enfields!Censored

If you’re looking for a top-notch custom-made rifle rack then look no further!

I found this guy  & after he worked with me to make sure I got exactly what I needed he made & shipped the rack shown in the pictures. Built very solidly from quality wood, mine was ordered unfinished so I could match it to the existing bench. He does them finished though in several varieties.

Custom isn’t quite the word, because it’s beyond that. He has a huge variety of components & does a mix ‘n match that is mind bogglingly good. Everything from a 3 gun portable rack to something the Pattern Room at Enfield Lock would be impressed by. He also knows his stuff, as well. After several e-mails I got something wider, deeper & all round better than I’d originally thought of he really took the time to ensure I got what I needed.  I had some tough criteria to meet, several short, long & carbine rifles, many scoped in a space you couldn’t swing a mouse in, much less a cat.

It arrives very well packed & I guess “semi-assembled” for shipping. Final assembly was a snap & the instructions & hardware to do it were first rate. The rack comes with self-adhesive felt for the top & buttplate cutouts, but I haven’t installed it yet as I’m going to stain & varnish the rack first.

Packaging:

assemblies:

Built:

Filled (almost) still room for just one more!:

Talk about a tight space!

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRacks.htm

*disclaimer*
I'm in no way involved with him, just sharing good service & product he provided to a customer.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 1:05pm
It does look pretty nice. You will have to post up more pictures after you get it stained and varnished.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 2:07pm
I take it the empty space is for that No8 .22 your still wanting !! go on, you know want one!! Wink

Zed.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 5:09pm
nice - im going to make some new stuff to fit the gunroom this summer to replace my old cabinets that i willed to friends when i had to move them , ill take photos as i go 

this what i had in my office -

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 6:04pm
Im fixing to make new gun racks myself, soon as I get the new shop built and move into it !!!!! Been so busy lately around the house with the kids , setting up their houses I have not had time!!!!
And not to mention the projects I have going on for my houses !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 9:55am
Here you go, the finished product.
I wanted a bit more secure than "sitting in a closet", so this was the compromise solution as I didn't want a gun safe.
The "O" bolts are epoxied on the nuts so they can't be easily removed & the chain is hardened steel vinyl-covered. Locks are 4-digit combination & the rack is bolted to the HUGE bench so it can't just be carried off.

The finish is a Minwax poly-shades all in one stain polyurethane semi-gloss. 2 Coats were needed, not the one quoted & I fine sanded between coats. Film cans over the muzzles are a temporary thing till I find a better way of discouraging mud daubers from nesting in the bores!Evil Smile

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 10:46am
Exceptional!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Here you go, the finished product.
I wanted a bit more secure than "sitting in a closet", so this was the compromise solution as I didn't want a gun safe.
Would be better behind glass. Less chance of dust and fingerprints on the metal, which leads to rust.

I would love to have my firearms on display, but by law they have to either be under my direct control or in a safe. There is also the criminal element here that would just love to get their hands on your stuff.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 5:01am
This is actually a rural & low crime area. Because of that I don't have too many concerns regarding crooks.

Its a requirement there that they be "Locked to prevent children's access" & the rack design & padlocked chain make it 100% legal. This rack does that.

They're all in an inside room without windows & frankly if someone steals them they've already broken in & ransacked the place so I don't think total enclosure is called for.

Mostly they're military rifles anyway so a rack is the "natural environment!Star
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:26am
It gives me some ideas for some display pieces. I have thought for a while to get some DP rifles and have then on visible display in my place, that way the active firearms still stay in the safe. Your setup looks quite nice. I also just noticed you have a front stuffer in that rack. What brand, caliber, etc? I have several black powder firearms myself. Love those things!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 7:59am
Its a percussion "CVA Hawken carbine" with a 24" X 50 cal barrel, double set triggers & an "improved modern ladder sight" you might recognizeThumbs Up

I was actually dubious about it at first as longer barrels are "better" for B/P use but it shoots like a charm & very handy with the short lock & bore.

If you click the link earlier in the thread there are several pages of CAD drawings for the different racks he makes. Check them out, he has a huge selection of types sizes & styles.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 4:47pm
mines a little longer without that fancy sight - but pure 50cal black powder , 

but this one has set triggers and the tang sites , 45cal tho , 

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:38pm
Shamu, very nice Hawken! Also, tell me how you fitted that sight! I am very curious now Wink   I did check out the link to the racks and there is quite a selection to choose from. I was rather impressed with that. A_Square, how do the .50 and .45 shoot? I would love to know more.

As for my black powder items, I have a CVA Bobcat in .50 caliber with the synthetic stock, a CVA Bobcat in .54 caliber with the synthetic stock, a Thompson Center Renegade in .50 with wood stock and double set triggers and a Williams rear sight as well as 2 .44 caliber revolvers and a .36 caliber revolver. The .36 is my favorite revolver. That thing is very accurate at rather long ranges. The one I dislike the most is the .54. With that light stock it kicks like a mule.

Sorry to highjack the thread but my curiosity got the better of me.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 8:37am
No problem.
The sight is one of those "windage adjustable, target model Parker-Hale adjustable Iris" ones from Sarco.
It has a semi-standard No4 fitting (bigger axle to allow threaded windage & a click stop detent) & has the standard elevation clicks interlinked with a second set for finer adjustments. But & here's the secret, it also has a dead flat base for use on a Mauser type .22 rifle attached as well!

All I did was align the sight at the 50 yd setting on the original blade sight & then inlet the tang & wood for a flat mounting spot with the right height! If you look closely there are 25 50 75 & 100yd .22rf settings marked on the side of the frame.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic