Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield No8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AlanW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield No8
    Posted: May 27 2017 at 6:23am
Thanks mate, will give the site a try.
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 4:56pm
AlanW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 5:22am
I've just picked up a Parker Hale Model 9F rear sight which I'm going to fit on my SMLE, never had one of these sights before, does anyone know where I can get/download an instruction booklet on how to use it, I tried the Rifleman site but it won't let me print it and I'm sure I'll need some sort of data sheet at the range.
schnitz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by AlanW AlanW wrote:

Hi beltfedplus,
Wow, 4 No2 Mk4's, you really do have the bug lol, they must be quite common in the States, to be honest, I've never seen one advertised for sale on any of the gun sites here, it was by chance I bought this one from a dealer who had just received a batch of 6 from the Far East and he had a couple left.  The rear leaf sight was missing but I had one spare so I just used that.  I think the rear sight you have was modified by PH specifically for the .22 ammo.  I have the Skennerton book and in it he gives the .22 equivalent range settings for the .303 rear leaf sight, it's not exact and you have to alter it depending what manufacturers ammo you're using, which is only right, but I just keep a piece of paper and jot down the ammo type and range.  I haven't shot subsonics in it , must see if the local club shop has them. I know what you mean by addiction, I have the same only with No4's.
you can find the harmonised leaf sights on ebay sometimes , the royal navy contract #9 just had a mark cut into the side of regular leaf sight for .22 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 7:30pm
i agree - i have often thought where i might be had i concentrated on the trainers , i ended up with one no2 mkIV , i have a couple others , but not the no8 ...yet , 
AlanW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 5:27am
Hi beltfedplus,
Wow, 4 No2 Mk4's, you really do have the bug lol, they must be quite common in the States, to be honest, I've never seen one advertised for sale on any of the gun sites here, it was by chance I bought this one from a dealer who had just received a batch of 6 from the Far East and he had a couple left.  The rear leaf sight was missing but I had one spare so I just used that.  I think the rear sight you have was modified by PH specifically for the .22 ammo.  I have the Skennerton book and in it he gives the .22 equivalent range settings for the .303 rear leaf sight, it's not exact and you have to alter it depending what manufacturers ammo you're using, which is only right, but I just keep a piece of paper and jot down the ammo type and range.  I haven't shot subsonics in it , must see if the local club shop has them. I know what you mean by addiction, I have the same only with No4's.
beltfedplus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beltfedplus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 2:40am
Like you, I'm a Newbie on this board and over the past year or so I have aquired 4 of the No2 Mk4 rifles. One each, Enfield 1915 (1939), LSA 1910(1927), MA Lighgow 1944(1949) and Ishapore 1920(1937). As to accuracy, I shoot mine off a Lead Sled and you can get a little below the 3/4" mark, down to under 1/2". They seem to like low velocity ammo and are just plain fun to shoot. Try 50 yards and you will see the the group won't open up much. INHO I think that it's a sight picture, eye sight thing and not a rifle thing. These probably shoot much better than I can. When you mentioned setting the sights at 375 yards, it's possible to change the front sight to a different height to bring that down a bit. My Ishapore was also done by PH in '37 but the rear sight leaf has a bar stampted in it with, in very small letters "25 yards". I have never encountered any chinese characters in stocks but they seem to have wandered all of the British empire. My LSA has "NZ" deeply stamped all over it and I continue to look for the "right" stock for it. It currently has a Ishapore stock with the "Ishy Screw". Be careful though, with one NO2 MK4 in hand they tend to attract others to you as well. It's sort of an addiction. 
Regards,
Thomas Heim
AlanW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 2:21pm
Hi all,
I've had my eyes open for another training Enfield and recently picked up an SMLE No2 Mk4*, a 1915 Enfield made, converted to .22 with a sleeved barrel by PH in 1948.  It was in a he!! of a state, split fore end, rear sight and parts missing, the remaining wood and action was filthy.  I spent a couple of days cleaning the crud and replacing the parts, the butt and its regimental disc seem original (3rd Batt Rifle Brigade), I couldn't undo the butt plate screws so am going to leave well alone.  After cleaning the woodwork I noticed a 1" or so Chinese character stamped into either side of the butt, had a quick look on Goggle translate and saw it meant "scholar", so I took that to mean "trainer" ie training rifle, maybe Hong Kong or Singapore military or police, I don't know.
Last week I took it to the range and tried different ammo thru it and again found Eley Sport to be better than CCI etc, at best so far it shoots about 3/4" group at 25 yards with the rear leaf sights set at 375 yards, not great I know but I didn't expect it to be as accurate as my No8.  For those of you who have been shooting these rifles, is this about as accurate I can get with leaf sights?
Have any of you seen rifles with the Chinese character stamped into them, it would be interesting to get an idea where it's been, especially now that it looks fab.     
schnitz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 10:00pm
the first one is a BSA the second a 5A the third is  a Cooey  sight which used a Ross upper part , for Canadian SHt IV  next a PH 4/47  2 PH 5C  and the 5D on the Mk 8.
glad o have aquired   these sights for my .22 trainers ,  i find them to be far more accurate for me especially on the MkIII models 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 10:48am
And a great set of match sight's as well! I know the first SMLE one is a No9 either BSA or Parker; could you please identify the others? 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 9:25pm
ditto that , fantastic accumulation of fine rifles 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 7:45pm
Gorgeous collection, schnitz!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
schnitz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by islandguy islandguy wrote:

Nice Enfield No8 for sale on the Canadian Gunnutz website for anyone interested. Listed in the EE Milsurp section.
Jeeez i paid $300  for mine 
 a little hard to see in this piccy its the far  rifle . but it has the parker hale sight mde for the Mk8 only sucky part is the plate on side was missing   although a standard parker hale will fit

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 7:36pm
"...I've got a slot on my ticket for another 22lr
But trying to find a decent no8 at a fair price 
Is a bit like finding a hen with teeth ,😟..."

i have the same issue here - ive wanted one , even sought one out , im not finding here either , 
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 3:18pm
Nice Enfield No8 for sale on the Canadian Gunnutz website for anyone interested. Listed in the EE Milsurp section.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 6:17pm
they seem to work just fine , imagine that ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic