Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Sporter Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Sporter Enfield
    Posted: October 17 2015 at 4:56pm
So just bought a new Enfield. Funny enough, an Enfield was the first rifle I shot. Many many years ago.
Any info on this rifle? Its a sporter, really nice though. I have a question on the rear buttstock bracket  (I guess thats what that empty spot is) Can I still get it somewhere to get a sling in there?
How about magazines? Users manual?
Its a Mk 1 V 4. Saw that on another proof
Anything I should look at before I go shooting it?

Thanks

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 12:48am
You have a Maltby built No 4 Mk 1 rifle that has been sporterized. The "M" mark before the year and the serial number starting with a 1 designate the manufacturer (and I have an unholy obsession with Maltby rifles LOL). The bit on the butt you are missing is the rear sling swivel and screws. I think I may have one, I will have to look, but they are easy to find. As far as a magazine, is your rifle missing it? They can be spendy but look for a No 4 Mk 1 Enfield magazine and you should be able to find one easy enough. If it does have one then keep in mind these rifles were not meant to have interchangeable magazines, they were fed from chargers with the one magazine only being issued to the rifle.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 8:11am
You can still get No4 Magazines, they are climbing in price but they're out there.
I'd avoid the "aftermarket, commercial ones" they have a poor reputation.
Make sure you get a No4/No5 magazine, No1 (or SMLE) are different & won't fit.

I'm thinking the stock cut is for a early, cast rear sling swivel, not the later stamped ones. I don't recall them being recessed as much as the actual swivel is lower in the mount than the cast ones were.

Manuals are easy, lots available online. If you can't find one let me know with an e-mail that takes .PDF files & I'll mail you one.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
waterzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 5:33pm
Thanks guys. The magazine is there, so I am not going to worry about getting more.
I was looking it over tonight and the numbers on the back of the stock seem to match the numbers on the rest of the rifle. They are a bit faded, so who knows. Did they take the original stocks and cut them? I always thought they made sporters by putting on new stocks?

I tested the muzzle and breach tonight by just putting in a round. The muzzle looks very good. The bullet barely goes in. However on the breach, just throwing in the round loosely it goes in almost all the way. Not all the way, maybe slightly less than 1mm

Im not going to shoot it a lot. Not thousands of rounds, maybe hundreds at most.

Now I will have to measure the headspace. Where do I get a field gauge ? BF303F? That the one I am looking for?
Just want to make sure the rifle is safe to shoot.

I also have a Mauser 98, and the Enfield really has a nicer mechanism. Just seems a bit nicer to me, but I might be wrong.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 6:45am
A lot of sporter conversions were just cutting off excess wood to save weight.

You only need one gauge, an 0.074" "Field" gauge. I like the coin style from Okie gauges.
http://okiegauges.com/
Be aware there are 2 different standards, make sure you do NOT get the SAAMI spec ones they're wrong.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 9:50am
Speaking of the mechanism, most people do find the Enfield action to be smoother. It also cycles a lot faster. Although, I do have one with a reblued bolt that likes to get sticky, but that's an abnormal situation.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 1:04pm
Looks like the bolt head is a "Zero", which is great news. Any loose head space can be easily rectified with a larger bolt head, 1,2 or 3. However do measure the bolt head length precisely to see what increase (if any) is needed. The numbers are an indication of size, but there are variations and one can find overlaps in size.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Owl-Mirror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owl-Mirror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 1:19pm
Just caught the end of this conversation but, if you are looking for gauges. I have a full set I'll part with. I also have a dozen Steel Butt Plates. I also have a few Bolt Heads in excellent condition I'll part with.

There is also one source I trust for Enfield parts.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=enfield

Send me a message if interested in any of the parts I have.
Good Luck !
Words are my Weapon of choice, Truth is my Shield
waterzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 3:46pm
Thank you. I will probably have to take you up on that. I ordered a set of gauges before I saw your post. Got the gauges this week. However the gun failed the No Go and also the Field gauges. So what do I do now?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 1:43pm
Owl-Mirror
Which gauges do you have & how are they speced?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 8:30pm
congrats and welcome - i see others havew given you great info , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:07am
If your No 0 stamped bolt head fails the field gauge, you need to get a longer bolt head. So as the 0 head is the smallest; that will mean looking for probably a No2. A No1 might do to pass the field gauge, but you'll probably pass the No Go as well with a No2 head. (No3's are generally more expensive as hard to find now)
However you do need to measure the length of what you have, to help work out what you need. There is some variation in the numbered items and some have been reworked so are shorter than spec. 
Better to pay a bit extra to get one that's been measured.
Also make sure that it clock's in nicely to the bolt. It should not turn much past the in line position.
waterzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:11am
Thank you. I will measure it. Anyone have a #2 available?
waterzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 6:04pm
Thanks. I measured my bolt and it came out to 0.628
How much bigger do I need?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 12:02pm
I would try and find something around the 0,636 region. That should bring it up to a good adjustment. But even a No1 bolt head will probably get it passed the Field gauge; although if your going to buy a new bolt head, better to aim for passing the No-Go test. 
waterzap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 1:05pm
And can I only use a #4 rifle boltbolt, or will a #3 also work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic