Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple of stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 9:10am
The grain on that martini has been quite trying, especially in the forestock as it is a very dense fiddleback and the normal scraping for fit is much more difficult because of the changes in grain direction. The buttstock is not quite as difficult but I still need my wits about me to make sure I  am not about to go against the grain. 
Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 10:40am
Garry:  You better make that wood dark this time.

Something on the order of this might be in order.

This one is a nice Winchester Red.  Even a little darker would be cool.

I just got a NRA Sporter Stock from this outfit and can't wait until it shows up.  I will be going for something around this color on it. IE;  a base stain with Brownells French Red and then maybe darken it up a little more for richness.

Just a thought floating it's way down to Kiwi Land.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:00am
Alkanet root is the way to get the old English stock colour Randy as that enhances rather than colours the natural grain  past the darkening that the oil finish will give it and I anticipate that this one will show off its best with this approach as well.
Like you, I prefer the darker stockwood although many of the early 20 century stocks have darkened because of the oil and sunlight over the years and when they have been de-oiled for a refinish they have come back to what I am trying to recreate with the alkanet root that they initially used. 
Von Gruff

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 4:15pm
i really like the looks of it - its coming together really well 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 6:57pm
Today it was the turn of the Mk 3 pattern stock to get some attention and having the butt plate on the martini I could then copy the curve onto a block of wood and use that to outline the plate shape on the pattern stock. The instructions were not to inlet for the steel plate but to make it compatible so that it can be copied or cut off if a flat faced soft pad was going to be used. At the same time I marked the grip cap and planed down to the respective lines to assist in removing some bulk before the actual shaping started
After "some time" and effort this shape found its way out of the blank and so it got sanded down to 100 grit.
The forestock was sat in place and the shaping lines marked in
After running it through the band saw the plane takes the corners off
The a length of 60 grit emery belt is used to "shoe shine" a rounded bottom to the forestock
When that was done I decided to leave it for the day

So, this is where it sits at the moment
Von Gruff

flatdarkelf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 8:02pm
Garry,
The work looks amazing.  It's hard to imagine these are going to be used just as patterns.  Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 12:26am
Garry; can't wait to see them in color.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 7:06am
Randy,

I can assure you, Garry knows what he is about re. colouring!  You will be very pleased with the results I am sure!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 9:40am
I have seen a lot of Garry's work over at Castboolits.com and his attention to detail is second to none.

But what has impressed me most is his willingness to share his techniques with the World.

This makes all of us who play with this stuff Better Craftsmen, and I personally have picked up more than one little tidbit to enhance my projects.

The two key factors of Craftsmanship are:

1. Attention to Detail  and

2. Personal Responsibility

Garry's got both down pat.

Randy
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 4:49pm
taking shape nicely 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 7:33pm

The first chore today was to fit the barrel band attachment for the forestock and as it was smaller in inside diameter than needed to get as far up the barrel as the forestock dimensions required. A piece of 220 grit wet and dry was wrapped around the barrel with the band over it and by working it back and forward and having many tries I was able to increase the I D.

Still a way to go as I wanted it to cover the main pin hole for the original rear sight . ( this is a good take-off smle barrel)  The cross barrel pin hole can have a pin driven in and dressed off later on.

Having marked where it was to go to on the barrel and transferred the marking to the forestock it was time to remove a little wood

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 7:42pm
With the band fitting into the forestock I could drive it onto the barrel. A good clean and a light smear of Imperial sixing wax was enough to help get it up  to the desired point where it is a very tight no slip fit. It took a little to drive it the last 1/2 mm but a brass block and going round the band got it sorted. Of course I did set a level on the action bottom to get it right in the vise and then checked the bottom of the band nut to make sure as I went forward.

The machine screw that had been with it needed a little shortening and the back of the head re-shaped  to mate with the counter bore in the forestock but eventually it all came together.

Then the excess width was bandsawn off
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 7:55pm

The rest of the day was taken up with shaping the forestock

And finishing the butt stock shaping, with it all sanded to 100 grit

At this stage it will wait till Euan can have a check fit as the brief was to make this a slim trim sporter and putting it on the scales it tips them at 6 lb 1 oz with the only addition to be a set of open sights and a barrel band sling eye (half way between the forend tipand the muzzle(  so it will probably not go over about 6 lb 3 or 4 when finished. The grain in this one is quite spectacular as the full fiddle back in the forestock runs back down the wrist of the butstock where it reduces and straightens into the  dark and light pattern. With some alkanet and oil it will be quite striking.

Von Gruff

flatdarkelf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatdarkelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 8:04pm
Beautiful Garry.  There will be one proud Martini owner. Thumbs Up
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 8:59am
You are a real master of wood working. I tip my hat to you, sir.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 5:32pm
looking good and i think it will have beautiful color 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic