Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tumbling loaded rounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tumbling loaded rounds
    Posted: January 16 2016 at 2:58pm
Have a bunch of 40s mark 7 they shoot fine , but I need to steel wool them to
clean them up. wondering if the vibrator would break up the cordite . any body try this before?? Dane..
Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 4:29pm
I don't use a tumbler, I work this a rotatory wire brush ( the ones that face downward from the hub) in the drill press.
Gun Nut 4
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 6:19pm
i would not tumble - i would hand clean , but i always er on the side of caution , 
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 7:06pm
^^^  What he sez
Pro Deo et Patria
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 8:54pm
I have put 150 MkVII rounds in a case polisher (tumbler?).  It is by far and away the safest option if you consider the chances of a live round being snatched from your hand by a wire wheel and flicked goodness knows where.
No heat and no chance of excessive force being applied to the primer.
Mine came up really well after 24hrs in a medium polish.
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 7:53pm
If a wire wheel was to set off a round then you would have to be doing some serious polishing to get it to the heat required to set the propellant alight.

A bit of dry steel wool and a few rubs should clean any dirt off sufficient to feed a round. The addition of any thing to the process can cause problems. Most brass cleaners contain ground pumice stone. Very abrasive. Also the chemicals will make the brass shine, but the finish will degrade very quickly and leave marks. Ask anyone who has left their tunic buttons for a few weeks after parade. There is further danger of chemicals getting into the propellant or primer. Although unlikely.

Rather have a nice old patina than have to be constantly cleaning the round.
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 11:57am
"Rather have a nice old patina than have to be constantly cleaning the round."

I agree. If it's '40's stuff, you don't expect it to be shiny and new looking. A bit like getting your '40's SMLE and putting new wood on and polishing the he!! out of the metal bits. But to each his own, of course.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 12:49pm
"Rather have a nice old patina than have to be constantly cleaning the round."
Absolutely. You should see some of the stuff we were issued to shoot.
Looked like it was stored in a bidet, under a cow byre, on the banks of the Great, Grey, Greasy Limpopo.
It chambered, shot & extracted just fine though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 9:13am
As long as it goes bang I am happy.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic