FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to SA Licenses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Norgrin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norgrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to SA Licenses
    Posted: April 14 2016 at 9:13pm
Nope. MSA. Milnerton Shooting Association.
I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 7:46am
Do you mean NSA?

If so, all you do is log in. From there you can apply for your endorsement. You can also get your membership certificate to attach to your application/renewal.
Norgrin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norgrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 10:19pm
Thanks for the info DF.
This is a great help.
I am with the MSA so will email them today to get the ball rolling.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 6:30am
I'm with NHSA. You write your motivation letter and email it to them. They look at it and if they are happy they send you an endorsement letter to hand in with your application/renewal. They won't give you an endorsement if they think your motivation is weak. SAPS are pretty much bound by the endorsement unless they have some compelling reason.

The renewal format is very much like the new license application. You should also fill in a SAPS 540 which allows for more than 200 rounds per Section 13 and Section 15 licenses. Section 16 and Section 16A licenses automatically allow for more than 200 rounds per license. handy for when you need to buy powder and primers in bulk too. You can add 4 licenses on one application.

Example: you got your shotgun under Section 15 (occasional hunter/sport shooter). On Saturday morning you go to the gun shop to buy some #7's to shoot some clays at the range. Normally you can get  a case (10 boxes of 25) at 10% off the box price. If the gun shop overlooks the quantity and sells you the case, you are foul of the law.
Norgrin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norgrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 9:21pm
I hope I am as lucky as You with the renewal.
This is the first time I am doing a renewal since changing over to the white card.
I will contact the association I shoot for and ask them for an endorsement.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 6:32pm
"..A Sq: Not so sure..they keep challenging it..& one day, they will probably win(Cuz they keep at it),,"

we have stood at an obscure bridge in the past thinking 'the world will little note nor long remember' then found it was the "shot heard round the world" 

do not underestimate the will of the people - too many of our politicians have - just sayin 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 6:16am

It's not difficult to renew. If you have a nicely written motivation (lazy people pay R250 for someone to write it) and if you are a member of one of the shooting organisations they will give yyou an endorsement (basically telling SAPS that they must give you a license/renewal).

I went in to check on an application status for a new shotgun license. The DFO fiddled on the system. A few weeks later I got a call to come collect my licenses. I don't know what he did but my 9mm was renewed and one of my rifles was renewed (it still had 5 years left). I never submitted a single piece of paper. It saved me having to do the renewal this year for the 9mm.

The good thing is that renewals are done at provincial level not in Pretoria (unless you a Guatie). Not that it will take any quicker to do. If they moved any faster they would be out of a job.
Norgrin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norgrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 12:39am
Originally posted by DairyFarmer DairyFarmer wrote:

Latest from the lawyers at NSA.

If you originally got you license on the old system (green) and you have renewed on to the white license and your white licence is expired or expiring in less than 90 days, your green license is still valid. The SAPS cannot order you to hand in your firearm, nor can they prosecute you. Renew you license NOW.

Just to add to the above:
This is only applies if You held onto Your Green licence and never handed it in when You got Your White
License.
Unfortunately My green cards got stolen when visiting Namibia a while back and My bags never arrived.
So I am bound By the laws of the White card.

I need to start the renewal process for my sidearm next month.
I am going to do it through Parow Arms.  I am not going to go through renewal again without a bit of help.
I do not need any issues with renewal as My 9mm is always with Me.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 9:13pm
A Sq: Not so sure..they keep challenging it..& one day, they will probably win(Cuz they keep at it)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 4:46pm
damn glad our constitution forbids this , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 8:32am
Latest from the lawyers at NSA.

If you originally got you license on the old system (green) and you haven't renewed on to the white then you license is still valid. Renew you license NOW. 

If you originally got you license on the old system (green) and you have renewed on to the white license and your white licence is expired or expiring in less than 90 days, your green license is still valid. The SAPS cannot order you to hand in your firearm, nor can they prosecute you. Renew you license NOW.

If you got your license the first time on the white license and it has expired or expiring in less than 90 days you are foul of the law. Go see your DFO ASAP. You will probably be asked to hand in the firearm.

The SAPS will close this loop hole as quickly as they can, so get your renewals done before 90 days. And get a receipt!

If you do a renewal, get a copy of the renewal from the DFO and have is certified. Carry this with the firearm. If you are stopped and found with a license that is expiring in less than 90 days, they WILL take give you hassles and may take your firearm and/or arrest you.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 6:29pm
dont want them to do too much - they muck up most everything they do , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 5:48am
That's horribly close to the truth!
It's a multi-stage 3-ring circus in many cases.
Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 5:11pm
I've got to say I don't really understand American politics much. It seems to me that candidates spend more time campaigning than actually being in office and doing anything. Then the incumbent (who presumably got the most votes) spends his time in office growing less and less popular with everyone.
As for firearms law, just don't get me started!! I live in the UK after all. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 8:05pm
i see where you might get that idea , it does seem to be the normal perception of things and particularly with the last half dozen election cycles or so , 

this one is interesting because the media has not been able to control/manipulate it as they have in the past and the standard issue is not the norm - those that are , not doing so well thus far , if for no other reason than the standard coronation is not working this time - im having fun with it , particularly the media show of losing control - they have always felt themselves so powerful and in control of our elections , 

i still wont make a prediction - the two parties are still infighting after all , the real debates start when the candidates are determined , i enjoy that more , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 4:44am
The entire election process here, particularly the presidential side of it is a giant multi-stage filter.
You shove random politicians in one end & a standardized composite mush comes out the other.Pig
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic