Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buffing a stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buffing a stock
    Posted: February 17 2016 at 10:50pm

A friend in WA State had asked me to add some buff horn accents to a 338-303 he recently bought. The previous owner had tried to refresh the checkering and it was not the best of jobs so itwas going to have to be re-finished anyway so he sent it over to me to add the horn before he delves into the re-finish and re-checker.
It isn't the typical Lee Speed stock but as  many of them were one off stocks that the many configurations I have seen all (or almost all) seem to look right on these grand old rifles. He had got a good deal on some buff horn tips so sent them over as well but I had a more suitable piece for the grip cap.

First job was to cut a section of the existing grip off

One side of the horn was filed flat and the general width marked on so I could cut it to an approximate size that had parallel sides and ends so I could hold it in the little vise.

Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 10:52pm

Next a line was scribed round the sides so I could cut it to be even thickness. Slow and steady gets it done

Then it can be held in the vise and using increasingly finer files the face can be trued and smoothed

And going through 220, 360 then 600 grit paper it starts to look about right

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 10:53pm

Then the piece that was cut off the end of the grip can be used to mark the new cap dimensions and it can be bought to general shape, again with the hacksaw

Then screwed to the grip end with two little dowels to keep it orientated in the right place
So that is the end of the easy bit as now I have to file it to conform to the existing grip without changing the dimensions of the wood more that the depth of the checkering. Having an unused barrelled action I could bolt his stock to so I have something to hold it with and make the filing more accesibil

Von Gruff

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 6:43am
You sure make that kind of stuff look easy, Von Gruff. That looks to be turning out very nice.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 8:34am
That is art.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 9:45am
Very nice!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 11:46am
Thank you for taking the time to post these photos Von Gruff. 
I always find it very interesting to see craftsmanship of this quality Thumbs Up
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
klr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 4:44pm
That is really nice work. Thanks for sharing it with us. Clap
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 8:37pm

A bit more filing today had the horn shaped back t the wood for most of the grip circumference but the rear portion will need a free hand approach as the transition between the cap and the stock underline means there will be a little re-shaping to be done.

The one thing that became apparent was that the grip shape was not symmetrical as it had been left with a slight swell on one side so without too much reshaping of the wood I have followed the shape with the horn.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 8:44pm

Then the cap was taken off the stock and screwed to a stick so I could position it more favourably in the vice for finishing filing the rear of the cap. My home made scribe guage marked around the edge

And then around the face

Then a bevel can be filed to the two marks

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 8:49pm

Then the flute can be filed in.

Then the top edge can be radiused

And given a sand through the grades to 600

So at this stage it is fitted back onto the stock for the next phase.

Von Gruff

ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 5:37pm
Nice work!
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 3:58pm

This morning saw the grip cap finished to a single coat of BLO just to protect the wood.
First I had to re-shape the rear of the grip/transition to the stock bottom line. 3 in needle files are needed to get into the very tight radius up to the cap edge and trying to finish it down to 600 grit paper is a fiddly little job but it looks reasonable now.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 4:03pm

Spent a couple of hours yesterday cutting the pieces of horn I had for the tip only to find that there were flaws in them that precluded their use but there was one little tip that I thought might work if I was carefull with positioning as there was a small flaw near the bottom edge.

The forestock was a little shorter than was wanted so I cut an inch off and the tip  will add  1 5/8 or just a little more. Have cut the horn to 1 3/4.

When measureing and marking out for the dowels I put the little sliver of wood (.05 thick) on top of the cut off forestock so that the horn will be proud when fitted. A p***k punch marks the position of the holes and then a marker hole is drilled

Full holes are drilled and the doweld cut to within 1/16" of the full hole lengths and marked with end nippers to create more grip.

The epoxy is mixed with black die and the bits are cramped together for the rest of the day. The finished wood is wrapped in tape to protect the finish.

Von Gruff

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 6:23pm
this is a fun thread , thanks 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 6:19pm

With the epoxy nicely cured it was time to set too with the files and get it to shape. Taping the stock protects the checkering and taping the file tip makes sure to keep it parallel to the work surface. When I can see it is getting close to the wood I change to a finer file till it is just a shadow line round the entire tip

By using a straight edge I can check when I am getting close and keep it in a straight linewith the existing woodwork

When it is all down to where it can be finished starting with 220grit paper I leave it and start on the barrel channel

After a "while" it is there so the finish sanding to 600 grit is done

and a coat of BLO gives it a better appearance

Originally the forestock was just shy of 7 inches from the receiver ring to the tip and by adding the horn it is now 7 1/2 inches so getting close to what will visually balance better.

Von Gruff

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic