Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Bolt Assembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Bolt Assembly
    Posted: February 26 2016 at 9:25am
Hi

I'm getting a replacement bolt assembly next month from Springfield Sporters, and I was wondering what do I need to look for in order to make sure it fits properly. 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 12:50pm
It's the locking lugs. The locking lugs should both bear evenly and you need to mark the lugs on the bolt body to check that. Once you ensure the locking lugs bear evenly then you can start to look at headspace.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 1:53pm
I mirror what Bear43 said. We can help you in your quest, just keep asking as many questions as needed, many here will respond.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 2:08pm
For a SMLE or a #4 ?
Pro Deo et Patria
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 2:32pm
Locking lug engagement, head over rotation, & headspacing.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 2:45pm
ikesdad, the fitment procedure for either a SMLE or a No 4 is the same.
AJ Dragon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 11:19pm
Hi

I have the No4 Mk1.  Are you talking about these.

ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

ikesdad, the fitment procedure for either a SMLE or a No 4 is the same.

Yeah, I know but was only curious which he had. I'm starting to get into the SMLEs a bit after a garage wall full of #4s.
Pro Deo et Patria
AJ Dragon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 7:56am
Hi

I take it that I'll need to get some of that blue contact liquid so that I can make sure the lugs are making full contact at the same time on each side of the receiver?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 9:41am
My apologies, ikesdad, I misunderstood your post.

AJ, yes, that is exactly it. Those lugs on the bolt must both bear evenly on their respective recesses in the body.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 2:25pm
Yes, the lugs having the similar (if not the same, which is better) contact is vital.
However!
Don't be put off by a little bottle of chemicals. Candle smoke, Magic marker dye & so on will do the same thing, verify how much bolt is locked to how much action body.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 4:13pm
SS is currently closed for awhile. Death in the family as per their site.
Pro Deo et Patria
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 9:44am
I recently fitted a new bolt to my SMLE. I would strongly recommend reading articles by Peter Laidler regarding bolt fitting. It certainly helped me.
I used an Arkansas stone (better than carburundum) to remove the high spots to get contact on both sides and tapped some beer can metal around the bolt to avoid scraping that when using the stone on the lugs. Make very careful and slow process so you don't overdue it! To get good head space you don't want to be removing too much off the lugs. You fit the bolt lugs to match the rifle! do not try and alter the rifle receiver lug area.
There is a thread here regarding my bolt fitment; but I'm an amateur and rely on the articles written by the pro's.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
AJ Dragon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 4:40pm
Hi

Thanks for the tip about the articles by Peter Laidler.  The next thing I need to get is the stone, the head space gauges, and the blue dye.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 10:27am
The stone I bought online; you'll be better served in the USA for that.
You definitely need the proper head space gauges; I bought a full set of Oakie gauges. Having the set of 3 helps because you need to know how much metal you can remove; and it's not very much! literally a couple of thousandths of an inch. 
I managed to get contact at both lugs and pass the Go gauge (70 thou) test, which gives me 4 thou to spare before the Field gauge fail at 74 thou. If I hadn't had the 70 thou gauge it would be too easy to end up very close to the field gauge limit, which was where the original bolt was!

It will be difficult to get the same size contact area on each side; so go very carefully and keep checking it after every couple of stroke of the stone. You really do need to take the time; it's easy to wreck the bolt. once I got contact on both sides, I stopped. Then test fired it with a few rounds to settle it in a bit, then rechecked the contact. 

Best of luck, 
Zed.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 1:25pm
Make sure you get MilSpec headspace gauges (like the Okies mentioned.) Many are SAAMI which is a different spec & not correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic