Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sellier Bellot 180grain ogives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sellier Bellot 180grain ogives
    Posted: March 29 2016 at 12:08pm
I've been testing some SB 180 grain ogives recently. They are much cheaper than the Sierra's; but a word of warning! The weight of these varies considerably when compared to the Sierra's. So obviously some money saving in the quality control department!
However they do shoot well if you grade them. I have been weighing them and batching them for loading.
Out of the first 100 ogives, only 9 were bang on 180 grains. The majority were 179.9 or 179.8 grains; but the range is from 179.3gr to 180.gr with 1 worst at 177.5gr, thats 2.5 below spec.

So basically you have to buy twice as many to get enough of one weight! which is where you'd be if you just got the Sierra's. I now have quite a few plinking rounds!!!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 1:10pm
Would appear that S & B has quality problems with everything.(See my post re: faulty ammo)
Never - never-never will I use their stuff - for ANY reason - again
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 1:37pm
That's a lot of variation.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
DairyFarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DairyFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 7:49pm
Just a quick word about scales.

Mechanical scales get more accurate the longer the object is in the pan.

Digital scales are only accurate for a few seconds once the full weight is added. The longer an object is on the scale, the more inaccurate it gets.

Also remember to put your cell phone as far from the scale as possible. The same goes from other electrical devices that may affect the scale. I even read somewhere that LED's could affect a scale.

Bullets do have variations in weight. Normally 1gr each way. This is normal. Monolithics tend to be better. SP are the worst. Keep those that are way out for fowlers. Group the rest and use in batches. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 7:40am
It depends on how the digital scale is powered. Most of the problem comes from electrical "noise" in the system from other things attached to the main. (florescents are horrible for this).
Its one big reason I stick to my old 9v battery powered scale.Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 8:25am
Another interesting experiment can be trying a group using the bullets with the most diverse weights.
If this is done at short range, say 200 yards, there isn't actually that much difference in the group size when taking the human element into the equation.....as in, we can all pull the odd shot, and this in itself can produce a larger group than otherwise, so it is sometimes very hard for us to see the difference a grain in weight makes. 

Zed,
As you have a few 'heavies' and a few extra 'lights' I would like it if you could perform such an experiment to see how much more spread you get.   :-)

Richard.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 11:42am
Agreed that at the shorter ranges, the difference may be small. Probably more noticeable as the range gets longer. These are quite good in my rifles.
I have a couple of competitions coming up soon; which are at 200 metres. I want regularity in the loads; so the only variable is me, then I can only blame myself if have a bad day!

I was planning to use the odd sizes for loads when friends want to try shooting one of the .303's
I don't have regular access to a 200 metre range (my local club is only 50 metres). It's a real problem in France, not enough ranges and we are not allowed just go down the fields and fire a few off!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic