Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 1 Mk 111 fore-ends.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 1 Mk 111 fore-ends.
    Posted: April 03 2016 at 5:11pm
Zed,

These might be the same!

One would think though, that it's just as easy to make something right as half right.  If a company in India could be found who would mill them to original specs, it could be very handy for us, and they'd get a good bit of business.
Yes, the draws are critical, and left oversize would be better than sloppy.
Mebbe we should club together, buy one & see what we get!  :-)

Better still, a bunch of blokes I know have a get -together at IMA a couple of times a year, and maybe one could take a screwdriver or ask Alex or Christian about them.   That sounds better,...and cheaper than buying a pup!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 1:27pm
While the external appearance of the wood appears reasonable; I doubt that the internal machining is the same as original. The recoil lug area would be critical if you wanted to use the wood on a "live round" rifle.
Would be interesting to see one stripped down.
Last year I came across some replica No4 rifles for sale in Normandy. The butt stock was held on by a piece of metal added on under the wrist with a couple of self tapping screws holding it on. LovelyDisapprove
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 12:48pm
From the written description it sounds like it might be a "Denix" non-firing replica instead of a real Khyber pass rifle?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 12:33pm
I have wondered that about these as well. If someone ever gets one of these it would be quite interesting to take it apart and check it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 11:55am
Only thinking of the wood, SW, as the rest of the parts are more lookalikes than the real thing.
I think the wood looks like it's turned out on decent machinery, and may well be beech.

Now if we could find out Who was making up these stocks, we might be on to something!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 7:22am
They are Khyber pass rifles most likely, they could be used as a parts source for some items but would it be cost effective.  
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 1:16pm
Question for you gents;

Sitting about today after having my knee scoped, and can't do much on the farm, so looked at IMA stuff for sale.
I see they have No 1 Mk 111 Enfield reproductions for sale, Likely made in India. These are non -firing.

Idly wondering if the wood is any good, and if it is cut close enough to work for a 'real Mo 1 Mk 111.
As we all know, this wood is normally very expensive, so, Could this be a usable source??

Don't need any wood for one myself, just wondering.   :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic