Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cruciform bayonet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cruciform bayonet
    Posted: April 11 2016 at 9:33am
 bought a cruciform Bayonette ,  i know there are some fakes out there , and this puppy dont really have  much in the way of marking as they should .  anyways i would appreciate some input 

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 4:20pm
what i see - the dimple on the elbow is correct the marking is a "view" mark we yanks would call it an inspection mark , the makers mark should be on the other side , SM [early marking] SMC is the later [thats what mine is ] no other company made these , 

N67 is their war code , the dimple was used to center the spike during fluting , that was a milled process , the unfullered section of shank should be approximately 1/2" , the webs ate flat between the flutes , the shaft is actually oval shaped the round version showed up in later marks , this was a drop forged one piece unit , 

by the time the spikes were issued there were three models of the no4 bayonet and the mkI was declared obsolete with curent stores to be used , 

there were only 75,000 of these made and early issue meant reduced survival due to attrition , thats why they are considered scarcer than the rest , yours looks very nice , 

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 5:35pm
Super! Yet another bayonet I need to find.Gorgeous piece, very nice!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 6:18pm
yes you do - and you may have a better chance there than some of us here these days , do be careful of the fakes - they will be round in shape , may have miss-ground profiles and may be miss-marked as all of these will be singers , 

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 6:57pm
still...a nasty bit of work, to be sure!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 7:21pm
A_square, I wish I had half your knowledge on bayonets! Fantastic bit, schnitz!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 9:18pm
im a novice compared to those that are real bayonet collectors , im only into these commonwealth these days and have a working knowledge of the US i used to collect , but even that can be just enough to get me into trouble , 

i do enjoy seeing what folks are finding these days , ive not found anything interesting in pointy bits in a very long time , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 9:48pm
I am just into the Commonwealth pointy bits and that is enough to make my head swim! When it comes to bayonets things are complicated at best.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 5:10am
still..I would have imagined the cruciform bayo would have been made illegal (off-side?) thru the Geneva convention. (They did it to tri-corner bayos)
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 8:51am
The Russians used them up till the 50's.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 5:39pm
there were a lot of this type/style pikes , french too 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic