Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.444 marlin opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tflogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .444 marlin opinions
    Posted: May 01 2016 at 9:49am
While buying some U.S. Krag parts from the heir to a local smith, I was shown a barreled no. 1 mk. 3 action in .444 Marlin.
How hard would it be to make this feed as a repeater?
Parts are not a problem, but I do not want a single shot.
TIA, Tfloggger
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 11:48am
Why would you want it?
Loose wimmen tightened here
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 1:29pm
Why ask ?
Obviously it spoke to him.
Pro Deo et Patria
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 1:52pm
Well 45-70 can be made to feed from the magazine. I assume 444 Marlin might be a little easier even because of the smaller rim diameter.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 2:02pm
Tf, check your inbox.
Pro Deo et Patria
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 12:21am
I built a 405 win in a Lee Speed styled sporting rifle and made an insert for the magazine which feeds 5 down so makes for a fun big boomer.

A 320 gn bullet and while my plinking load is at 1650fps I can load it up to about 2000fps which make for a lively recoil.

I did make a second insert from a heavier guage steel (.060) which works much better but this video of the first insert shows a slight hiccup with a couple of bullet noses catching but the second heavier insert with sightly changed feed lips works much better.

Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 4:58pm
^^ wow man looks good. i love the look of those. cool round for sure. i love older less common calibres. thanks for the pics. wanna post pics of the rest of the gun, it sounds very interesting. i love old enfields.
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 11:22pm
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 11:26pm

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 11:30pm
This is it with its stablemate in 303 that I built as well.

Von Gruff

evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 3:50am
nice looking rifles man. i see lee metford/lec cocking pieces and round bolt handles. what receivers and triggers are they? and bolts of those? it looks like i can see dust cover lugs on the bolts. but im on my phone looking.
 the wood looks great, i wish i had the ability to make things look good made of wood lol. metal and wood are very different lol. to bad there wasnt wood welders lol.

what barrel did you use for the 405? bore a lee enfield or a blank?
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 12:18pm
I used a BSA&Co commercial long Lee Action so in effect it is a Mk 1* action with dust cover and magazine cutt-off but I didn't cut the stock for the mag cutt-off for the heavier cartridge although did for the 303 version.
The Barrel was a take-off from a Marlin LA that was short chambered so I lengthened the chamber for this rifle to suit full magazine length cartridges which are just shy of the standard 405 Win length
This is the correct magazine for the 303 that I got in trade and worth a great deal because of thier scarcity
Von Gruff

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 3:01pm
Traditionally I don't approve of an Enfield that has been cut and chopped. But this is a cool rifle.
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 5:05pm
Thats too cool man, looks great and i love those actions, the triggers feel great compared to the 2 stage ones mk3' have. the rifles look the same just one seems to be a bit bigger then you see the artillery she!!s your loading into it and know the difference, that happens when im shooting my 43 mauser at the range, someones like "ohh whats that an old mauser, 8x57?" and im like "not quite", then pull out some 11x60r
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 8:22pm
fantastic work - im not into the sporters myself but i appreciate great work , 
Tflogger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tflogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 8:56am
Thank you all for the replies.
Since my car just died and my hours have been cut at work, I have to pass.
I did get to look at the dead man's Lee Metford sorter in .450 the case looked like a 45-90.
They are not advertising so I still might have a chance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic