Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Pistols
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield No.2 Mk1, non tanker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield No.2 Mk1, non tanker
    Posted: May 04 2016 at 6:18pm
I passed on the "war finish" Webley.  I always wanted an Enfield, so I popped on this Enfield No.2 Mk1 from 1939.
">
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 6:55pm
nice, that looks really good. in great shape!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 7:27pm
Nice purchase! Very good handling revolvers. Tons of history too.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 8:48am
Wow, very nice.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 3:09pm
Congrats!
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 6:55pm
very nice , it looks to be in excellent condition , congrats 

the reeded grip scales without marking disc are mkI of the 1935 to 1938 D-F prefix vintage , the switch to reeded with the marking disc mkII is generally attributed to 1938-1943 G-Q prefix , but i would consider those correct with use of stores and not knowing your SN prefix 
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 10:08am
A Square
I did see a 1936 with checkered grips and no marking disk.  I will have the revolver in a few days and check the SN.
If you have one, would you post a pic?
Is there an Enfield Revolver book that I should have in my library.  Mr. Boothroyd has only a passing mention, with a nice drawing, of the No.2 Mk1?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 8:49pm
there is a book , its stamps and skennerton , .380 enfield no. 2 revolver , not sure if its still in print nor available but as skimpy as it is , it has a wealth of info , as close to the consolidation of info as is available to date , that i know of , there may be something new out there but im unaware of it these days , 

the chequerd walnut are the early ones , serial number 1 to prefix C dated 1927 - 1934 by that reference , ive always held that one cannot be so specific in the transition years as nothing was thrown out and these were government produced - maintained , stuff got changed in service and civilian hands , we go with what they told us and what might have occurred after , nothing is set in stone - collectors like the norm , 

when it comes to enfields we never use "never or always" just sayin , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 10:08pm
When it comes to any kind of Enfield the phrases are "it may have been", "it could have been" and "possibly".
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 11:19am
A Square, I found ".380 Enfield No.2 Mk1 Revolver" at Abe's books.  Price ranged from $50.00 to over $200.00.  However, Amazon had one for $30.00.  It's ordered.  Thanks!
I have been looking for an Enfield revolver since I saw your collection.  I am hoping it is a good pick.  It should show up by the end of the week.
I hope your rough times are smoothing out, and wish you my best.

I hear you guys.  During my limited involvement with Enfield and Webley, I have noticed the but, however, and we think maybe of the subject. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 8:37pm
you got a really nice one from what i see , enjoy and as bear points out do always take what you get with the modifiers , even the reference books as carefully researched as they are , can be and are wrong in hindsight and later revelations , 
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 2:59pm
Re: Lanyard
Ok, now I have a revolver with a lanyard ring and no lanyard.
I found one at IMA for ten bucks.  It's for a WWII Webley and it is green.  Says original.  But, I've seen tan ones too.
I understand the anything goes for Enfield, Webley and WWII stuff.
The web sling for my Enfield Rifle No.4 Mk2 is green and stamped 1949, so I am guessing I'm ok here.  I just hate to guess.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 5:51pm
there were different colors , i have khaki , khaki and green , green - had navy blue once , 

sorta used the different colors to differentiate mine for no other reason than i could , the tan are on my 380s ,   the green/tan on my 455s , the green are on my US lend lease and canadian pistols , 

25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 6:01pm
Thanks A Square.  Love your collection.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 6:09pm
i did kinda change it up to the webley having the green/tan , and enfields having the tan eventually as i ran out of choices , i should have bought more when they were available 

they do have a rather fun knot on them -

25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 7:05pm
Glad you showed those close up pics.  There is no clip for the ring.  I do not think the metal clip looks authentic.  And kinda dumb.  Rust and all.
Just noticed my pics are gone.

I found a blue wool RAF one on the Ebay.  Sans clip.  It is a repro, ok temporarily.
RAF is a good guess for the pistol's past.  Sounds good anyway.  Now all I need is a Spitfire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic