Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going for it Barnes X style

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IAM Rand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAM Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going for it Barnes X style
    Posted: June 20 2016 at 11:48am
I had to get new scope base screws because the ones that came with the Leupold mounting system.  Finally sighted in.  I am using the 150 or 165 Barnes TSX FB bullets.  I got some IMR 4064 that I am going to try next.  I was using the Alliant 4350 with good results.
My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasam.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 11:59am
Norma #202 is brilliant with 180 gr if you can find it, & can get 2540-2,600 FPs if you want it without excess pressure. (usual cautions apply)

Just found 2 cans I'd stored away and forgotten about!
IAM Rand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAM Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 9:19am
I think I am looking to try max loads for my hunting rounds.  With the almost max on 3031 I was having to adjust my site to the 3 mark on the sliding site and with the 4350 I had to use the 4 mark.  This was for shooting at the 200 yard target.  I am more comfortable with the 3031 for 200 and under.  I may beef it up a little.
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 2:51pm
that sounds like a good load^^
also 38gr of h4895 with 174gr jacketed bullets works well for me. id try 36gr with the all copper bullets

also the h4895 can be loaded down safely to 60% of the max listed load for that weight bullet. hodgdons site has that posted
IAM Rand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAM Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 1:52pm
I will be using either IMR 3031 or 4350 with the 150 grain TSX.  I also looked at possibly getting the 4064 or 4895 so that I could use it to reload a 30-06 and possibly a 7mm Rem Mag.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 1:27pm

38.5 grains of Varget behing a 180 grain bullet is my favorite

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
IAM Rand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAM Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 8:04am
I just got some Barnes X bullets in for the 303.  Going to see if I can work up a good hunting load for them.  I also got the Woodleigh 174 Protected point bullets as backup.  Ordered brand new Hornady brass to start with.  I contacted Barnes to get load info and got the standard line.  Use what is out there but, start at a lower than max load level and try and get the bullet .050 from the lands.

Here goes nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic