Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help to this Lee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help to this Lee
    Posted: August 08 2016 at 7:34pm
Hi ! I need some help to identy this Lee.. i don't find any Lee like this one.. thanks ! If some body can evaluate it, that's Will be Nice :) thanks
https://imgur.com/a/2TvAO
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 4:19am
It is a Magazine Lee Enfield.  It is a very early and Highly desirable rifle. 

It is the adaptation of the original Lee Metford to Enfield type rifling

The short version:  Several short comings were found with it during the  Anglo-Boer war of 1899-1902  which lead to the developement of the iconic SMLE
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 4:46am
Ita some times refered to as a "long lee" if you want to open up a few more searches.
Bluebird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 8:36am
Nice ! Thanks guys, the M&D stamp on the stock is Canadian right ? What the value of this one approx in Good condition ? Thanks
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 5:31pm
its an 1896 magazine lee enfield mark I and it looks at first glance to be complete , ill defer to ENGLISHMAN_CA on its correctness , but i will be surprised to hear she is not , complete with pointy bit and a later sling , you can always add a leather when its found , 
Bluebird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 7:45am
Thanks. My friend want 600$ for the rifle. I think the price is right, what do you think ?
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 7:18pm
That is about half of what they go for in the US, but they are rare down here.  I would grab it!
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 8:56pm
me too , thats a steal on such a rare item in that condition , i would pay that to get it and change out anything that is wrong , just my 2 cents , 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 10:26am
Nice find. It is one of the 40,000 Magazine Lee Enfield Mk.I rifles purchased by the Canadian govt in 1896. The butt is duly marked to the Department of Militia & Defence.

The contract was filled with rifles manufactured by BSA, LSA and RSAF Enfield. Enfield supplied 18850 of the total.

The bayonet is of the correct P1888 type 2, as issued with the rifle. 
But I note that Mole is the manufacturer who was not one of the suppliers to the contract and also 1899 dated, which means it would not from this same batch of rifles. 

What is interesting is that when this Mk.I LE went into production, this batch of rifles was the first to be supplied to re-arm an overseas army. At that time the British Regular forces retained their Lee Metfords that had been issued just a few years before, they updated later. So for a brief time, the Canadian Army were armed with a more up to date weapon than the British.

This one looks to me un messed with, and a lot of its value to collectors is because of this. I would not even touch the screws on this one to dismantle it. If I cleaned it, I would be very gentle and use nothing more than a soft rag and linseed oil for the wood, gun oil for the metal.

With a rifle in this untouched condition, it could be so easy to loose a lot value without even trying. Just sayin.

Value? I have seen similar listed on dealers sites for up to $2500. Dont know if they sell at this price. 
I would not let this one go for any less than $1000 Cdn. So ballpark is $1000-1500Cdn.

Clean it too much and you will have a $750 rifle.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 9:32pm
great advice as i suspected a great piece , hold it dear i would , follow the advice given if you keep her or sell her she is a gem in the rough , 
kjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 8:47pm
Great rifle and good sound advice on NOT overdoing the "cleaning".  I have seen so many buggered up old rifles, mostly from the dreaded "refinishing" and from using the $.59 screwdriver.  Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic