Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 8:19pm
ahhh - im not going crazy as my wife suggests , 
eagle7840 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle7840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 4:53pm
Monday was range time with the Enfield and new Boyds stock for the first time and the rifle entirely since I aquired it.  Took it to the 25 yd range and windage was right on at 12 o'clock and elevation 3" high with the military sights and shooting Sellior & Bellot 150 gr.  Felt recoil with the Boyds stock and recoil pad was minimal and I would have gone to the 100 yd range except they didn't have enough stations set up and I ran into some magazine feed problems even tho it is the magazine tuned for this rifle.  It felt like the spring or follower is dragging on the magazine box, so upon returning home I took the mag apart and applied some BreakFree and hand rubbed it into the she!!, spring and follower.  The bolt also felt a bit stiff...any thoughts about using a rail lube?        
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 7:15pm
i have a friend from your vicinity that walked into the coliseum gun show at the fair grounds last year saying he was looking for a mkV ..........we did not even buy tickets before he had a nice original with great timber , hardly anything out of order [safety if i recall correctly ] i think he has found that now 

congrats on your find 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 5:28am
Check for things like an improperly assembled safety, a bent or jammed sear & so on if the bolt is dragging, it should be very easy & slick.
I lube my bolt & receiver raceway with just a .50 cal mop that has a few drops of gun oil on it.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
eagle7840 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle7840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Check for things like an improperly assembled safety, a bent or jammed sear & so on if the bolt is dragging, it should be very easy & slick.
I lube my bolt & receiver raceway with just a .50 cal mop that has a few drops of gun oil on it.
Thanks for the tip.  Last night I did some studying on how the rounds were loading or not feeding.  I used the S&B SP and the PPU FMJ.  The PPU fed pretty consistent, the S&B would sometimes refuse to move from the magazine.  I opened up the front mag ears a tad and the PPU fed every time.  Then back to the S&B and found out that the some of the rounds were being locked into place because the top rim was behind the round below it.  After carefully loading the magazine making sure the top cartridge led the one below it the problem was confirmed without any FTF's.  I wonder if this is an indication of a weak follower spring?  

As for the bolt nothing wrong there.  I applied some Slide Glide to the receiver/bolt mating surfaces and to the bolt and nice and smooth now.  The resistance I feel is in the firing pin spring when closing the bolt.  Pulling the trigger back and closing the bolt it's smooth as silk.     
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 5:35am
That's called "rimlock" & its common with rimmed cases. If you load from chargers & load them correctly it won't happen. I don't as my rifles are scoped but I have the habit of loading with the round forward of the magazine a little & pushing down & back to load. This ensures the rims are set properly.
The cock on closing action has a different "feel" than a cock on opening, that's also normal.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
eagle7840 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle7840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

That's called "rimlock" & its common with rimmed cases. If you load from chargers & load them correctly it won't happen. I don't as my rifles are scoped but I have the habit of loading with the round forward of the magazine a little & pushing down & back to load. This ensures the rims are set properly.
The cock on closing action has a different "feel" than a cock on opening, that's also normal.
Good input.  Now that I'm aware of rim lock I'll pay more attention when loading the magazine.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic