Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LSA 1906 CR53 serial no.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fancysmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LSA 1906 CR53 serial no.
    Posted: September 01 2016 at 7:46pm
Info needed on an LSA  Enfield dated 1906 with a serial number CR53...is there an Irish connection or bit of history ?  pls advise   fancysmith
fancysmith
Darreld Walton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darreld Walton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 6:17pm
I also have a No 1 STAR, dated 1906,lined out original serial no and E R over a new ser no 6065. This rifle still wears the sliding bolt charger guide. Missing upper hand guards, and forestock,
cut off ahead of rear band. Rear sight complete including bone inserts on elevation slider. No finish left on metal, stock wood heavily coated with some nasty decoupage looking stuff. I really like the rifle and would love to at least put serviceable parts back on..... I was told that this one might have spent some time in Ireland prior to immigrating to the States. Oh almost forgot. Wrist marked with Crown over ER, over BSA Co., over 1906, over SHT LE, over I*.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:29am
I was off the site a bit and missed some things... First of all, both of you need to post some pictures.

Second, both CR and ER prefix rifles with original numbers barred out do have an Irish connection. The CR rifles tend to be in Mk III configuration while ER rifles tend to be in Mk I*** configuration. However, Darreld, I am very curious on yours since you state it is only 1 *. This would be beyond curious since by the time they were sent to Ireland all I have seen were upgraded to Mk I***. Pictures of yours would be greatly appreciated, especially of the area of the barrel right behind the rear sight block.

Finally, if you are trying to restore one.... good luck. I have a 1906 BSA/Sparkbrook Mk 1*** that I have been trying to restore for many years. I have all the metal but am still lacking the wood. This has been a very expensive and time consuming endeavor. The quickest and cheapest thing is to put them in Mk III* wood to get them to a serviceable spec. It all depends on how far you want to go and how much time and money you want to spend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darreld Walton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 8:31am
Bear, I appreciate the response!  Will post photos later this afternoon.  When I typed the message last evening, it was on a new "tablet" thingie that came with the wife's new phone.  I have to "fat finger" the keyboard, and typing gets REALLY taxing after a bit, and the spell check wants to add and delete things!  
Okay, so, looking at the enhanced photo, it confirms that you're absolutely correct, though I had to scrub this area thoroughly with 0000 steel wool and alcohol to reveal this detail.  The second and third "star" are much smaller, and in a different font.  My bad....  The area immediately to the rear of the rear sight base also revealed two letters that I previously had missed!                                                              Oh, BTW, it was NOT me who did the "carving" and file work at the back of the rear sight base!  All I can think of is that a previous owner wanted a lower,or shorter range "zero".  Around this area, this rifle might be referred to as a "canoe gun", or something that would get knocked about in the bottom of a boat while cruising the islands in the Snake River without a lot of thought to condition or care.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darreld Walton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 8:34am
Sorry, forgot to mention that I'd removed the bolt mounted charging shuttle.  What a nuisance!  After trying to use the thing, I understand why they went to the Mk III!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 8:08pm
"... However, Darreld, I am very curious on yours since you state it is only 1 *..." 

my thoughts as well till i read the next post , now its understood , the first star was put on in a differen era than the other two and that accounts for the change in font , 

"...forgot to mention that I'd removed the bolt mounted charging shuttle...." 

please no - that would be blasphemy , its a critical part of the heritage and im certain there are many that would scarf that bit up if you are serious , 

there are a number of bits critical to these rifles -

as mentioned the timber is critical - its the only one with this forend 

it has this front volley sight 

and it has this rear volley sight 

it needs to have this rear sight and the rear handguard - sight protector 

that pesky charger bolt bit and the cutoff 

there are some other incidentals , but if you have one in good nick , do not remove important parts nor  loose track of those you may posses , folks like bear are looking for them , 

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 4:48am
I always enjoy these posts just to see A_square post his pictures. The reason I asked about markings behind the rear sight base had to do with originally thinking your rifle was a Mk I*. If the other 2 *'s are missing then that would have meant it was never modified for the Mk VII ammunition. That is primarily what the other 2 *'s indicate. Finding that yours is a Mk I*** is why the HV mark is behind the rear sight base and though it is hard to notice without comparison the part of the sight base that the elevation slider rides on is ground down a bit as well to allow for the difference in trajectory of the Mk VII ammunition.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 8:54pm
as bear mentions the last two stars mean modifications for more modern ammo and it would be rare specimen indeed had it survived as a mkI* , and would be very valuable beyond this one that is very valuable if intact , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 7:54am
An unaltered S.M.L.E.  Mk.I* marked to the Natal Light Horse. This regiment was raised for the German South West Africa Campaign and fought at Kakamas, Keis Drift and Gibeon.

fancysmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fancysmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 9:51am
I was wondering how to attach pics of CR53...I'm used to seeing a paper clip...anybody help ?  Grahame
fancysmith
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 12:13pm
If you select the "Post Reply" icon at the lower left instead of the "Quick Reply" you will have the menu for attachments etc open with that page.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic