Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scabbard and frog.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scabbard and frog.
    Posted: September 07 2016 at 7:33pm
Yet another stupid Enfield question. It seems that most pictures I've seen of Jungle Carbine bayonets with scabbards and frogs look similar to this one, borrowed from another post by Canuck:

Note where the "whatchmacallit" on the scabbard goes through the strap on the frog.

Here's my repro bayonet/scabbard in what's supposed to be an original frog:

The difference is obvious - but I was given to understand that the "whatchmacallit" was supposed to be in-between the two straps, NOT through a non-existent hole in the upper strap of the lower two - however, looking at the relative positions of the two bayonets with regards to the top snap, apparently that's what needs to be done?

What's the story? What am I missing here? Apparently a hole needs to be made in the one strap? If so, why isn't it already there?
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 3:07am
whats the date stamp on yer frog?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 4:30am

The JC frog was the same as the "Pat 58 style" one, as was the scabbard, only the bayonet handle shape & lugs differed.
The Pat 58 frog definitely had the hole in the webbing. Also the weave of the fabric looks wrong for Pat 58, as does the retaining loop for the handle.
Yours is either non-British, or a repro to my mind.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 8:49am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

whats the date stamp on yer frog?

I'm away from it at the moment, but I'll check and get back. It very well may not have one - which I assume would mean repro?
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 9:15am
Probably. It should look similar to this on the back.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 12:33pm
I the first post; looks like the webbing straps are narrower than the original type on the "frog" in question.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 9:26pm
the "watchamacallit" is the scabbard stud , they have been round since WWI - before that they were almond shaped - teardrop- they may go between bands , but they most often go thru the button hole , im not familiar with your repro items , some of mine are visible here - 

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 10:04pm
A Square....thanks for posting these photos! It's like looking at a reference library with all the volumes intact. NICE!!!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 8:09am
I checked mine last nite, no markings, dates, or anything whatsoever printed/stamped on the backside.

So it looks like I need to cut a button hole in the top strap.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

I the first post; looks like the webbing straps are narrower than the original type on the "frog" in question.

Now that you mention it, it does. Only slightly, but its there.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 8:19am
Before you do remember in the originals the slot was made in the weave of the fabric at manufacture, a bit like a button hole. Just cutting webbing will break many threads of the weave damaging & weakening it.

If it were me I'd just leave it the way it is doing no harm.
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Before you do remember in the originals the slot was made in the weave of the fabric at manufacture, a bit like a button hole. Just cutting webbing will break many threads of the weave damaging & weakening it.

If it were me I'd just leave it the way it is doing no harm.

Yea, after I wrote that, that's what I thought of too. It may be possible to work a hole in by pushing threads aside with an awl or similar. If not, I have a sewing machine and I know how to use it!
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 7:49pm
do not cut the hole - your web will be destroyed and even in a repro thats not good , i would enjoy it as is , but thats just my 2 bits , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic