Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gift from Father-In-Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gift from Father-In-Law
    Posted: September 28 2016 at 9:20am
he!!o everyone.  New to the forum.  I'm a regular range visitor and I own several rifles and handguns.  I have questions and it seems that this crowd may be the ones to help me.    My Father-in-law surprised me with a gift last weekend.   He pulled out a gun case and opened it and asked if I could identify the rifle inside.  Well I couldn't.  He just gave it to me saying a fellow owed him money and gave it to him as collateral, and then died.  He had no use for it and he knew I was a shooter.
Long Story short:   Decades if dried oil and dust.  I spent hours disassembling, soaking in Ballistol and cleaning.   Research reveals it's a genuine No5 MK1 with an electro-etched date of 4/46 followed by "V 4846"
Research tells me it could be one of two manufacturers. There are other markings I cannot yet decipher.

The condition of the bore looks like it was made last week. Smooth and shiny.  The sear, latch and moving parts show almost no wear and all the blue is intact.  The magazine spring seems to be strong and functional.   It came with old ammo which cycles smoothly once the rifle was cleaned and lubricated.   The condition of the wood was dirty but it cleaned nicely and is pretty much perfect.

It appears to me that due to the manufacturing date, and the condition I must have an unissued surplus Enfield Jungle Carbine in a cleaned-up ready-to-shoot condition.
Can anyone tell me how to decipher more history about this rifle?   There are a number of stampings on both the steel and the wooden parts.   I'm a motorcycle fan and BSA is my old favorite but I'm doubting this is a BSA because of info I gained from Youtube.  I could be wrong.    I really appreciate you guys and the forum and I would appreciate if any of you could tell me more about this rife.
                                             Tom

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 2:20pm
Pictures tell a story.
If its a No5, it was made in Fazerkley(?)
Did it have the pointy -bit, as well?
Loose wimmen tightened here
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 2:33pm
Hey Tom  Welcome to the forum
I live near Fort Worth and shoot at the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol club's range
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 4:05pm
welcome tom , there were in fact two manufacturers of the no5 as mentioned above ROF-fazakerley according to some references  supposed to have started production in 1944 and BSA-shirley started production in 1945 . both produced through 1947 ,
although some references say both started production in 1944 and BSA stopped in 1946 and FAZ in 1947 , i know that FAZ produced in 47 as that is the date of mine , 

your no5 falls in the serial number range for FAZ in 1946 , there were no major changes in the no5 mkI over its service life that would warrant another mark . 
TominDallas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 4:21pm
SW28 I'm a native of Ft.Worth.  I believe the old Haltom club is the original shooting range for this region as is Alpine.  hoadie  I'll dust off my camera or use my phone and post some pictures if I can remember how.
As far as the rifle is concerned, I know it's not some rare expensive piece but I don't really care about that.  I appreciate the history of it's purpose for being built.  I feel pretty fortunate for being just given the thing by the wife's father.   The minor snag is that it's the very last rifle that will fit into my safe.  Another gun means another safe or a bigger one, and I'm always finding one more to drag home or friends give me the one that was in their father's closet.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 5:34pm
Wrong..its not "rare" but they are getting there - for sure.
Expensive is a relative term.
They have been increasing substantially.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 6:16pm
Congratulations on a wonderful gift! Yes, the #5's continue to escalate in value, especially one like your's.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 7:57pm
I've been sick with the flu for 30 hours but I'm sure I'll feel up to a range trip this weekend.  I'm really looking forward to firing it for the first time in ?? years.   I'm told to be prepared for some recoil.  A friend tells me it'll kick me as hard as my Mosin Nagant, being it's reduced in size and weight.    
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 4:08am
What shape is the butt re-coil pad in?
Mine was discoloured & hard.
Rhino brought me one up on his last trip, & now she absorbs the power well.
One thing about the No 5..they were made for "Jungle" warfare..close-in fighting.
I can't hit squat with mine. So if you have trouble past 50 yds..don't stress out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 4:32am
hoadie it's about as hard as you'd expect for such old rubber.    I did find a little bit of wobble in the stock.   Hold the barrel with my fingers and push side to side on the lower forearm with my thumbs.      I cut and shaped a piece of gasket material to lay between the barrel and wood to firm it up and stop the wobble.     Since I haven't shot it yet I don't have any clue as to it's accuracy but I know that stock wobble can add some trouble.   I've got a slip-on pad for the Nagant.  I could buy one for the Enfield as well.  It's a pretty short rifle on both ends and another inch on the butt end wouldn't hurt I think.  I generally shoot on the weekends and depending on what I shoot I notice a bruise on my shoulder Monday morning while I'm shaving.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 5:00am
If your No5 was a Fazakerly-made one it should say so on the left flat of the receiver.
the "ROF (F)" electro-pencil engraving should say. If it doesn't then its probably a BSA-made one.
Yes it'll kick more than a full sized rifle, but its far from insurmountable & you don't get the M-N fireball either!
The forend tip should have a slight up pressure, but only at the bottom center, you may need to fiddle with that a bit to get the best setup. If the butt stock is loose there's a bolt inside you  an tighten after removing the butt pad & its frame to expose the head way down inside.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 6:56am
Shamu, it does read ROF (F).   I'm a little bit disappointed having owned and ridden their motorcycles all those years I thought it would be fitting to own a rifle from the same company.  Still pretty excited about owning it.  Thank you for the information!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 8:42am
I have its twin sister, also from Faz. It may not leak oil like a real Beezer, but its a nice rifle anyway!
Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I have its twin sister, also from Faz. It may not leak oil like a real Beezer, but its a nice rifle anyway!
Star

Nothing leaks oil like a land rover  The old 200tdi engine and gearbox take some getting used to, we decided it was just marking its territory LOL.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 5:03am
Its an anti-rust under-body treatment!
Notice you never see a rusty BSA owner?
Clown
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 3:05pm
Seeing a BSA is a rare thing these days it's all jap screamers.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic