Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a LE in an estate sale.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towmslman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a LE in an estate sale.
    Posted: October 24 2016 at 3:09pm
I recently purchased a LE in an estate sale for $150.00. I am a newbie when it comes to identifying the make and such. Also after shooting it this weekend I noticed what I believe to be a head space issue. I have read on several forums that head sspace is not as severe of an issue as it is on other bolt guns. Any incite is greatly appreciated.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 5:05am
Why do you think you have a headspace problem? What exactly happened?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
towmslman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towmslman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 8:45am
The casing deformed slightly or stretched .. and I would have to basically turn the firearm on its side to eject the spent round
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 1:57pm
Are these the cases you posted over at SRF? The ones with the angled rims?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
towmslman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towmslman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 4:48pm
No. They are Remington Core lot bought at Gander Mountian.
towmslman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towmslman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 5:41pm
I'mnot ssure what srf is.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 5:06am
"Surplus Rifle Forum"
someone over there had posted images of some fired cases with the rims distorted.
Sorry, my mistake the post with pictures was on Gunboards, not Surplus Rifle Forum.
towmslman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towmslman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 6:30am
From what research I have done I belive that I have a MKIII and I have been told it looks as if the barrel is shot out. Is that common?
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 7:03am
If your cases look a bit cock-eyed after firing, this is quite common for these rifles and doesn't mean excess headspace, rather it means generous chamber.

If you can specify what exactly has you wondering about headspace, we may be able to give you a better idea.

All the best,
Richard.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 8:36am
Cordite was an erosive propellant & all British .3030 cases were corrosive primed.
Because of this many older bores are worn eroded or corroded.
Unfortunately without more detailed posts explaining why this it your train of thought its very hard to help due to the lack of detailed information.
Regardless of that take this for what its worth.
Headspace is ONLY the distance between the bolt face & the rear of the breech. That is the area where the case rim is in a firing position. A separate (& frequently confused) issue is a "generous" chamber which usually shows up as the case neck & shoulder blowing out & moving forward. This is obviously a different issue.
Which symptoms do you have that leads you to conclude which is happening to you?

Bore wear:
Again easily confused between several different possibilities.
Cord Wear (abrasion at the muzzle from poor cleaning technique with a pull through) is one possibility. Its usually checked with the "bullet test", but the test is flawed for wider applications because it only checks the extreme end of the bore. The only REAL test for a worn bore is a specific gauge which passes through the entire bore.
Throat erosion is a similar condition but is limited to the opposite end of the bore near the chamber.

Why do you think the bore is worn?
towmslman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towmslman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 8:09am
What Richard said makes more sense. The casings are a bit cockeyed. If I could figure out how to post pictures via my cell I would post them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic