Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not in the strict sense, but check anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not in the strict sense, but check anyway.
    Posted: October 29 2016 at 3:05pm
I've thought of those bolt on bubble levels as a bit of a joke,but I tried one & was very pleasantly surprised.
I thought about it & bought 2 different Chinese ones for 7.00, one was a bust. Its the type that "just bolts on to your scope rings" with long(ish) bolts & pillars. Yeah, right that works if you have:
The correct bolt threads (3mm, right)
The correct spacing of the holes. (there are so many)
The flats for the original bolt heads of the correct diameter. (thats likley)
Then I bought the little cylinder that clamps to a single slot of the Picatinny rail.

YESSSS!
I love this Little devil it takes up almost zero room, one slot so you can probably wedge it in no matter what you have on the rail. The Leatherwood camputer ART takes up darn near the whole rail & found room for it.

Best of all its just there, waiting for you to use it, its tiny & unnoticeable but if you open the left eye there it is just sitting in the bottom of your vision.

Don't think you need one?
Nor did I, I thought them i gimmicky thing I had no use for.
I never knew but I cant constantly to the right & that's about a 2" movement on target at 200yds!

For $4.oo get one & give it a shot, its great!
It bolted on in seconds, taught me I was making a mistake & even when the one time recoil separated the bubble it reformed in a second or two.
Proof of the puddin?
98 1X @ 200 yds!
Several other groups were under 4" but I had to make a few clicks to bring them to center.

The really interesting thing is the amount by which I was throwing shots off! The 2 (called) flyers up high being ignored look at the amount of scatter I was introducing! Almost 3" of height & worse about 2 of windage.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 3:31pm
So, let me get this correctly and please correct me if I am wrong. This level, does it just tell you how level your rifle is in the sand bag rest so that your hand and trigger finger are pulling equally and not from the side? Get what I mean? If you say it works that well I want a couple!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 6:39pm
that and your hold overall is level , every factor we limit is one less affecting the results , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 6:42pm
A Square 10, if you could provide a link for this product, please?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 6:47pm
its shamu that has it - he should be able to provide - im not to that expert level yet - i just have friend that are that inform me 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 7:30pm
Oops, okay over to you, Shamu......
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 7:15am
They are called "scope levels" or "anti-cant bubble levels" & come in many variations. Which one you want will depend on the individual scope setup you use. Some clamp round the sight tube, some clamp to the mount & so on.
Its more than equal pressure BTW. Imagine how your scope is aligned with the bullet's flight path. Now its not 100% coaxial there's a couple of things that play into the setup. One is the LOS is laser straight where the bullets path is a parabola so they don't actually match up except for the near & far zeroes. Anywhere else in the flight path there is a vertical offset.
Now there's also the fact that the sight is offset vertically above the bore, & sighting is adjusted to compensate for that as well.
If you cant the rifle, even very slightly, the sights POA pivots through an arc that has its radius as the sum of the vertical offset & the path of the bullet from the center point of aim. That error now magnifies as you extend the range. so a "1/2 bubble off plumb" can equal 4~5" @ 200yds.

Setting up the bubble so that the rifle is dead square to the sight axis & all are dead on horizontal as well can lop 2" off a 200yd group all other things being equal! Its one of those things you don't instinctively comprehend till you see it in action.

Here's a link to the Midway page so you can see the various options. I picked the one I did because the Leatherwood ART doesn't use "normal" rings, but is an integrated base unit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/anti-cant-devices/br?cid=22950
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 9:46am
Thanks Shamu.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 10:45am
If you get 2 (they can be dirt cheap) you can fit one to the rail & the other to the scope body. Then you can check the scope is also aligned horizontal & vertical. You'd be surprised how many aren't & the shooter is compensating by canting the rifle to level the cross-hairs.
It goal is sight 100% aligned with horizontal at the same time the rifle is dead vertical. If you ever noticed that you have a constant windage error the adds as you extend & subtracts as you decrease distance (which was what I was noticing) then its worth dong an alignment check.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 10:57am
Good idea! I do have a scope leveling tool made by Wheeler Eng. using bubble tube like your tool, it really helps make things better.I take it hunting to set-up my buddies' scopes which are always off the mark. I was also using a laser bore sighter but those aren't exactly accurate so I switched to using a bore sighter that plugs into the muzzle and displays a grid pattern looking through the scope. That gets me quite accurate to about 50 yards then its test and tune time with live firing to get the rifle zeroed out to 100 yards which is my typical hunting/firing range yardage.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 7:32am
I have actually created a winter make-work for myself.
checking all my scopes with the 2-bubbles, a bench vise & a carpenters level.
Hi ho!
Dead
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 6:09pm
nice - they will all be set for spring 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 4:04am
Yeah, but maybe all needing to be sighted in again as I'll be moving the zeroes perhaps!Dead
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 7:39pm
makes for more fun at the range - gives purpose to the trip me thinks , just sayin 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic