Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Enfield Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Enfield Owner
    Posted: November 03 2016 at 1:51am
I just bought a Enfield rifle & need some info on it if I could. Thanks in advance for any help that everyone could give me.   
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 5:34pm
interesting markings ... is that Greek ????  cant tell with out my glasses and dont feel like getting up to get them right now !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
evin264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 6:31pm
I honestly have no idea on the markings, I was hoping that someone on here could guide me in the right direction. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 7:18pm
im not even going to hazard a guess cause we cant see enough of it to determine a thing , 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 3:57am
You might want to "ease springs" (decock so the main spring isn't compressed.)
Open bolt, check its really really unloaded, pull & hold trigger, close bolt, apply safety (rotate to rear).
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 5:35am
Is the butt stock loose? Or not fitted into the socket well?

Neat rifle. Wish I had some info on the markings for you, but I haven't seen those before.
evin264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 6:54am
I'll have to check on the stock once I take possession of the rifle in a few days. The pics were sent to me from a friend & he is out of town for a few days. There may be other markings on the rifle that can help us all out.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 7:22am
Is there a thin rod added to the front band?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 8:06am
You thinking Turkish?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 2:30pm
If it is Turkish..what bout the broadfoot arrow on the cocking piece?
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 5:31pm
the turks did not make them they re-purposed those taken from commonwealth troops . the broad arrow would be present on parts unless scrubbed , 

turk ? that could be , but need to see other photos , be careful tightening the buttstock , not worth damaging anything here , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 3:56am
Just throwing my thoughts out here.... The rifle going through Turkey springs to mind for me because of the cocking piece. I have owned No 4's previously that had come from Turkey and they were the only ones I have ever owned that had that wartime expedient cocking piece still installed. Those were supposed to be replaced with the grooved cocking piece as supplies became available after the war, from what I understand. As A_square said though, we need to see more photos.
evin264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evin264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 6:05am
I should be able to get the rifle in a few days & will get a lot more detailed photos.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic