Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1953 Lithgow smle mk lll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2016 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by 98 Tiger 98 Tiger wrote:

I listed all parts and condition again and it was blocked. Receiver is 398 MA 53. Barrel 399 04 5 54
Sights 53, bolt 398 bolt head 'MA 46, trigger guard 398 . Butt plate MA 53

I'm confused by these numbers. What's the action serial number?

I wouldn't clean this stock, it looks exactly as it should. Rub in linseed oil with a soft cloth and that's all it needs.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 6:40pm
i agree with homer - do not clean a thing till its sorted out - my interests only if remaining exactly as it is , im finding it interesting at this point , 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 7:25am
Take the thing out and shoot it. See how well it patterns at 100 yards.

If it shoots well, don't remove the wood. These things must be bedded correctly for acuracey.  If it shoots good, do not disturb!

This one just needs a gentle cleaning. RLO for the wood on a soft cloth. Gun oil for the metal.

Nice one!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 12:16pm
I'm a little confused.
Are you valuing or actually trying to sell this rifle?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 3:34pm
Certainly more than 10%. How would you even come to make that suggestion. I've owned seven 1953's myself, only one was a sporter and many of my collecting colleagues have multiple numbers also. They seem to come up for sale often enough. For the record, good quality lithgows of all years are becoming harder to buy.
Look to some, they are desirable, to others they are just another coachwood Lithgow. Let's not talk it up so you can get a higher than normal price. There's no way anyone could say with any sort of certainty but I would suggest the large majority of these would still exist, perhaps more than 90%.
Yours appears to have a mismatched nose cap and there's a whole range of reasons how that could have come about, so I would want to examine it very carefully before I'd put anything down on it,
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 3:54pm
Clearly by this post and the other one you've brought back to life, you are trying to sell this rifle and generating interest by stating, perhaps overstating its rarity. I thought there was some sort of forum policy against that, that's for the mods I suppose. Good luck with it.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 7:45pm
this is a nice rifle , enjoy it for what it is if you can , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 4:58am
I'd suggest this to prevent further agita.
Have 2 separate threads, one where you find a suggested value & then, after that a for sale in the correct place where you actually post an ad to sell at whatever price you decide on.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
BrassMagnet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrassMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 9:14am
I have no clue what is going on in this thread. I don't desire to insult or offend, but I saw a question which really lit me off.

Never clean cosmoline with solvents!

Solvents will damage your stock finish and possibly the coating on your metal parts!

Now here is a safe method I learned from a Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) Armorer:

Use WD-40 and paper towels.
Spray a thin coating of WD-40 on.
Let it sit for a few minutes and it will liquefy some of the cosmoline.
Wipe off the liquefied cosmoline with paper towels.
Repeat as necessary.
It may take a while and many repetitions, but it will not harm your rifle at all.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 9:59pm
what went on in this thread was an effort to sell an item , not altogether a bad thing , just a slightly concealed thing , not a totally offensive thing but - we here wish for more openness , a little more honesty , this individual used our forum to identify worth , he could have just listed it for sale , we offer information to all as we have it to provide , we are not their sales reps nor are we the backup for their claims when they sell , that should come from the auction sites , 

that said i actually thought this one might have been summing up to be a new member [i called himout ] but ...by deleting his posts i think otherwise , i was fooled as usual by someone that professed real interest , 

im such a fool .....................................
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 6:41am
I have a very old rare truck. My grandfather brought it back from the war. It has four wheels and says FORD on the grill. Wotsit worth?

Maybe we need an identification and  appraisal forum??
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 7:48am
A Square,

I think you have him figured pretty well.
You can't win 'em all. This bloke came over rather p***kly.  Nothing we can do about that!
Just pick on Hoadie and you'll feel better! lol.

Added a pic. or 2 of my Lithgow to make  thee feel better!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 9:03am
1927 was a good year for me. My Uncle my namesake was born.

He is still MIA from WWII.

I named my oldest son the same name so people will remember.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 11:47am
I'm afraid one person was just up to something, I don't really know what.
We've been watching, but not reacting, but he seems to have beaten us to the punch & taken his toys & gone home.

I tidied up the mess he left, all those weird one letter posts, but we'll leave the rest of the thread up for the information it contains.

Sorry about that.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 11:48am
Nice "rare boomstick"!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 2:14pm
Nice tree
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic