Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

some reflections on getting old

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some reflections on getting old
    Posted: November 17 2016 at 7:17pm
 ive been sick , for about a week , its that throat respiratory bug that is going around here , put me out till i got the antibiotics from the clinic , last pill tomorrow - im just feeling really recovered tonight but i will say as much as i hate taking medications and as much as i hate the bowel problems antibiotics give me , i appreciate feeling this much better in only a few days , 

another remarkable event just occurred , bear with me please - im old , back in 1972 i was in college , studying architecture , we had an assignment that my friend and i extrapolated into our homes , we made lamps , chairs , tables for our living rooms , the assignment was a chair - like i said we had great expectations and expanded to the rooms we felt reflected us best - the one we entertained in , he was a gifted delineator - one that could make any drawing look almost lifelike , i tended to making things work and actually making them we were a great team , i wish that might have been a permanent partnership , but i would have missed much of my actual life had that happened , 

anyway , we designed and then built some really nice furniture , a coffee table [i hope my exwife appreciated it] of walnut and glass , chairs of chrome and black aluminum that were stackable but comfortable , lamps of chrome and black aluminum with low watt high intensity spots to emphasize a few locations , the lamps - i still have two of these lamps at my bedside , took 50 watt spots that are less than three inch diameter , what great lighting , i had bought a few bulbs thinking we would build more , i kept them thinking id find a substitute when they were gone , i used the last one tonight , 

i guess i see two things here - first , i never thought of seeing the end of the incandescent bulb so believed id find a replacement when needed , second , ive lived long enough to see a change in lighting that may make my lamps obsolete , in days growing up i rewired old lamps from the 20s to keep them working , even resocketed with newer versions but the bulbs were easily replaced with a modern version , 

its not been all that long - yet installing the last bulb i have carried with me all these 40 plus years gives me pause to wonder if ....................maybe............time is telling me something of my life and my times [past] and where i am at - the crossroads from youth , i think i crossed over without even realizing it happened , i hope that bulb burns brite for years to come , im using it every day .........
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 4:29am
I'm sure you could modify your design to accept an LED light source.
I currently have a 1940,s bicycle that I want to restore; the front lamp is a beautiful Aluminium design thai is run from a dynamo. I hope to integrate a bright LED into it so it has original appearance, but effective lighting for todays traffic. That way the bike will still be practical; so therefore useful and fit foor purpose.
As for getting older! tis' the way of the world!Wink
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 8:04am
If I get old I will have grow up.

I will have 18 forever, or at least till I kill my self.

Just ask my wife.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2016 at 6:34pm
Ho hum. Hair growing everywhere except where you want it to. Every little knock seems to take twice as long to heal. The getting out of bed routine just takes a little longer. You can't eat as much or you balloon. You drink a little too much and it hits you the next day like it never did before. The eyes sort of work okay but your arms aren't long enough to read any more without glasses.

But all these things mean you are ALIVE! Despite everything failing just a little bit, I intend to enjoy every day I have. Even if it does mean most things I covet are now defunct.

Grow old gracefully or disgracefully, but remember, not all of us get to grow old, so enjoy it.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2016 at 7:15pm
good points - life is good , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 6:48am
Yes we're becoming (by default) members of a unique & highly selective group.
"The Survivors".
Possibly because Heaven doesn't want us & he!! is afraid we'll show up & take over!
Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 6:55am
An old mate once said to me,  " I don't reckon a lot to this growing old..."
Told him the only alternative was to die young, and he said that That wasn't a heck of a choice either!

I plan on retiring at 120 and having a few quiet years.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 8:57am
I want to die like my Uncle Mike, in my sleep.

Everyone one else in the car just screaming they where so happy.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 9:25am
I want to be shot by the jealous husband of a 19 year old nymphomaniac with huge hooters on my 110th birthday.Censored

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 9:44am
That would be a hate crime!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 9:56am
Good idea, Shamu!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 7:14pm
i still dream of it occasionally , even surprise myself when i wake , might even surprise her more than once ???? 
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I want to be shot by the jealous husband of a 19 year old nymphomaniac with huge hooters on my 110th birthday.Censored

Dream on son!Wink

I'm just happy to be alive after cardiac surgery 15 months ago, it hasn't stopped me deer hunting, I have to ambush the buggers now because of the tablets. I sound like a pair of maracas if I walk any distance. And i have to be careful gralloching deer in case I slip with the knife and cut myself because I bleed like a stuck pig due to the blood thinners they put me on, makes it awkward when I do my diabetes blood checks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3YrV-k4lw

Fred wedlock Oldest swinger in town.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 8:48am
Big smile
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 8:06pm
aint life grand ? we live it thinking we are getting somewhere only to find out where we got to was not where we were wanting to go , i think ill just enjoy the rest of the ride to the best of my ability ...so far im having fun , just wish i would stumble upon a 20 something that thinks she needs a old guy experience to fulfill her , WHAT ? a guy can dream cant he ?????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 8:53am
Women and men think differently.

Women believe in love at first sight and men believe in love at the first opportunity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic