Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sighting In Mark III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sighting In Mark III
    Posted: January 07 2017 at 3:37pm
I own a Lee Enfield No. 1 Mark III* SMLE. I bought a device to help me sight it in for the windage adjustments on the front sight. Here is the device: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/255950.htm.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to use it. After looking at a video for older guns, it appears that this is supposed to fit on the gun an stay there while sighting it in. I don't think this device fits my gun to do that. The video I saw was verbal explanation and did not show how it actually fits on the gun.

Is this the correct device for my gun? Do any of you know of a video that demonstrates how to use it?

This gun is sporterized and does not have the protective cover on the front sight.

Any and all input will be appreciated.
The Rattler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 3:39pm
If it is pertinent, this gun was made in Litgow in 1941.

Thanks.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 8:24pm
this is a device intended to "drift" the front sight right or left , its not to be left in place while sighting in - you use it to move the sight only , then test fire , then move more if required , test again , 

you move the sight right to move the bullet point of impact left and vice versa , if you make adjustments at 25 or 50 they will be compounded at 100 -200 and so on , be very gentle and take it slow , make this an adventure, something to savor , when its done rest your mind - you now know the misses are all operator error , 
musketjon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musketjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 1:10am
Unfortunately, you need to remove the nose cap assembly to use that tool.
Jon
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 6:10am
I have a sight adjuster for my RIFLE.
It looks somewhat different than the one shown.
..& NO - you should leave it on the RIFLE when your shooting.
I have two RIFLES that are #1 MkIII* (both 1916)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 6:11am
Maybe I'm nutz but that looks like the front sight tool for a No4 not a No1?
If yours was sporterized as you suggest that may be a problem as the tool is set up for military configuration.
What you do is fire a small group, calculate the center of that group then attach the tool & make a drift correction with the 2 cross screws. there's a table of how far to turn for a specific movement distance. Then you remove the "cramp" shoot another to confirm & readjust as needed. Once set you'd normally stake the blade in the cross groove to lock it.

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=456-Fore-Sight-Adjusting-Cramps-(by-Graeme-broadarrow303-Barber)

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 1:19pm
It is for an SMLE not a No4 and the type the OP needs for his MkIII Lithgow. This design can only be used with the nisecap removed, but obviously that's not an issue for you, your rifle being a sporter.
Just for readers interest, there is another design that doesn't require the nosecap to be removed. It's not as easy to determine the exact amount of movement as the tool pictured in this thread, but I found it a much better option to not have to remove the nosecap.
Problem is, they are extremely hard to find.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 1:32pm
gentlemen:

To easily solve the issue (& get a clean, professional looking tool) go to: buchananprec@roadrunner.com, or call: 805-340-2701(Ojai Californ-i-a), talk to Randy.

You can thank me later
Loose wimmen tightened here
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 2:50pm
Thanks for these replies and your willingness to help.

1. Does anyone have a pic that can be posted showing how this device fits on the "horizontal blade" to move it? It seems most awkward in getting the 2 screws to both impact the "horizontal blade or the sight." It seems that I need 3 hands to do so.

2. I don't understand that once the 2 screws are impacting the "horizontal blade" how tightening one screw will move it. it seems like as you screw one of side to move the sight, the screw on the opposite side would prevent the sight from moving. In other words, if you are tightening the right screw to move the sight to the left, the left screw that is impacting the left side of the sight will prevent the sight from moving. Surely, I am missing something here.

3. Are there other devices available that would be easier for me to use on this sportarized rifle? Hoodie, does the company you cited have such device?

4. Would it be better for me to use a hammer, or a hammer and a punch to move the sight? I know its not precise, but at least that method is easier to understand. Nevertheless, my preference would be to use a device capable of a degree of precision.

Thanks again for the help.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 2:52pm
Sorry for the double post. This is deleting it.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 6:01am

The Idea is to clamp to the blade's base then loosen on the side you move to & tighten the one on the other side to actually move to the stop.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 10:54am
I have the #5 tool and once installed it is easy to see how to use it. No longer have a #5 but it's much the same for each rifle type. Also I use 100 yards as my standard starting range.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 11:01am
I need one of those #5 front sight adjustment tools.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 12:15pm
I appreciate all of your replies which are most helpful. I believe that just about everybody who replied previously helped me at one time or another in the past. What a most beneficial Forum this is. 

Shamu, your pic and description answer a whole lot of my questions. Thanks for getting so basic that someone like me, with limited experience, can understand. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 1:19pm
Glad we could help. One thing to remember the No of the adjusting cramp is NOT matching to the rifle's No or Mark except for the No1.
The No4 rifle takes a No3 cramp & the No5 rifle takes a No4 one.

(If that don't confuze the dreaded Fuzzy-Wuzzies nuffin' will.)
Star
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 2:00pm
Do I understand you to say that I need another sighting tool for my specific rifle? Or, is this just a general rule for all sighting tools of this design?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic