Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BSA No1 rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 3:17pm
WOW!! Where did you get that??!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
oldgunnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgunnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 12:01pm
So how about explaining the bevy of other numbers / markings on the bottom of the barrel?
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 5:36am
Nice one Evan! Good work on dating the rifle by the view mark.

I think that the key to unlocking this mystery is the marking on the nock's form flat. The BSA logo is actually shifted forward on the flat from where it is usually stamped to allow room for that circle logo and lettering. So BSA set up the dies to mark this barrel. I think that there is some significance to that, a special contract perhaps.

From what I have learnt from other collectors, if a customer placed a contract order at the BSA factory for a substantial number of rifles and they were manufactured to fill that contract (as opposed to being pulled from inventory), the serial numbers would be reset. 

So this is the 27th rifle made for this particular contract.

Carry on Sherlock Holmes!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 8:00am
An interesting rifle!  However, as a South African collector of military rifles I can confirm that I see no markings which I can associate with South African military ownership or presence.  Our Weapons Register (WR) numbers may be found on any type of firearm, whatever its origin or history. They are issued upon first lisencing a firearm in cases where it does not have a serial number or where its number is the same as one already on the sysrtem.   
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 7:05pm
i love this conversation , i learn so much , i do have a question tho - 

the original post appeared to be a BSA , the later posts are definitely an LSA , im confused //or did i miss something it transition ? 

dont get me wrong - i love the discussion , i just need to know if my old eyes saw something wrong - it might dissuade me from jumping in where i dont belong in the future 
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 7:51am
OHH this post as carried on without me, i missed it in the new posts location

Hoadie, i bought it off CGN and it was shipped to me from BC

Oldgunnut, im  not sure what markings you mean, ill relook at the pics and see.

Englishman_ca, Thanks for the info and yes that is interesting about BSA resetting up their dies, and thanks for what the serial number would have meant. im going to do some more poking around about this rifle and see what i can find out,  what you typed interests me

TerryLee, the only reason i even mentioned the South Africa thing was because in the add for this rifle when i bought it the seller had said he believes these were sold to South Africa, I'm not sure why he thought that or where the idea came form, i just added it because it heard it and it may have been helpful, maybe he meant the contract? or maybe he seen the U on the bolt head and assumed, i have no idea

A Square 10, yes the rifle is a BSA, someone had asked about the lack of date and other markings on the wrist band and i said it was a commercial rifle, and also showed a pic of my LSA commercial rifle to show the same lack of markings,  but yes the rifle is a BSA commercial rifle, the LSA is a Lee Metford II* lee speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic