Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner needs expert advice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner needs expert advice!
    Posted: March 03 2017 at 10:56am
Hi, I have just joined the forum, I am lucky enough to have been given a 1917 mk 3 SMLE.
The trouble is there appears to be a couple of issues with it...
Firstly it appears the firing pin has maybe shattered, it is square and flush with the front of the bolt, I think, is that what looks like what has happened?
Secondly, if you pull the bolt back to quickly, the bolt face bounces ap to almost 90 degrees, a bit of jiggling it comes out, there appears to be a spring clip at the side that should apply tension, erm, dont think it is anymore, or is it something else?
First time I have handles one so excuse the errors above..
G

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 11:47am
The part circled in your photo should be sprung loaded; so when you want to remove the bolt; push the bolt head up over the sprung lug to align with the bolt channel and withdraw the bolt. it should not pop up on it's own.

It should be quite easy to find a replacement spring and a firing pin as well.

When fitting the firing pin you will need to check the protrusion to ensure the correct length; as well as the correct clearance between the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt when fired.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 4:08pm
check the rail for wear , it sounds like it may have a chip out of it ? 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 6:07am
The detent spring is held at its base with a screw that does double duty as the sear pivot.

Often if the screw is loose, the spring is not held firmly at its base and can't do its job.

To fix your problem it might be as simple as tightening up the screw.

Take the fore stock off and have a look.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 8:36pm
Take the rifle apart and look it over. I am concerned with the line "if you pull the bolt back to quickly, the bolt face bounces ap to almost 90 degrees". The bolt head rides in a bit of a rail on the right side of the body (receiver). Check this "rail" for any chips. If there is a chip it will cause the bolt head to pop up much like we see in chipped bodies on No 4 Mk 1* rifles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 3:52pm
I could indeed be a chipped rail. But it would have to be a honking big chip out of it to allow the bolt head to ride up. It would be pretty obvious damage.

Or, maybe the hook on the underside of the bolt head that rides over the rail is busted or worn? That would create the same symptoms.

If these check out to be good, I would direct my attention to the detent.

The firing pin, or 'striker' can be replaced fairly easily. If the tip is broken, it can't be repaired.

To dismantle the bolt, a special tool is required to fit up inside the bolt body to spin the striker and unscrew it from the cocking piece.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 7:25pm
i agree , we were throwing out things we have seen in the past with no insight at all , it is concerning enough to get it checked and fixed as soon as possible , before someone gets hurt , we are not currently at war with these weapons and no ordanance administration is looking at these issues today - its on you son , to figure out your problem and find a fix , its worth fixin 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:41pm
This is most definitely a case where more pictures would help a lot too. Other than that we are pretty much just guessing at what could be wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 7:42am
Well it seems that the new member joined the board, posted and has not come back to read any answers.

Too bad, I found his problem interesting.

Maybe he tightened the screw and fixed the problem?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 11:56am
I took a quick look, just the one post & gone??
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 1:58pm
Seems we get a lot of that on here.
Folks just mining the site for info..get what they want, & bugger off
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 3:45pm
Not going to work on me Hoadie.

I am a Klingon, I keep sucking up all that Enfield info.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 4:38am
Paddy..Your a Klingon?

What are you doing here?

Shouldn't you be circling Uranus??
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 7:18am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Paddy..Your a Klingon?

What are you doing here?

Shouldn't you be circling Uranus??

No he talks out of it!!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 8:07am
...OOOHHH! ZIIINGGG!! [<:o)]
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 8:40am
Wow!

I can really feel the love here.

Glad I am do my job.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic