Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Couple of pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mausernut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple of pictures
    Posted: March 17 2017 at 11:49am
You guys might appreciate these pictures.
if you can't be an example, be WARNING

Hunter Safety Instructor
Canadian Firearms Safety Course Istructor
Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course Instructor
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 10:50am
Thanks for posting some interesting items.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 11:20am
A small suggestion if I may?

Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 5:39pm
Always good to remind how to place rounds in a charger. I know....but I always forget then have to look it up. Going to make a real effort to REMEMBER! Smile
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 11:29pm
That Dominion ammo box that mausernut posted..... I wish I could find a few cases of that stuff! Had a box once and shot it up. Sure fire and incredibly accurate!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 4:54am
Bear - I had a few boxes of that too..back in the day.
Dominion went out of biz quite a while back.

Mausernut: R U in the 'Peg?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 7:46am
OK Sham, you got me.    I always load my chargers the "WRONG" way in your photo above.
How come the rim-locked version is "Right"??

englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 8:18am
Headstamps - 303 British, Cordite Mk.1, Mk.II, no Mk.III (yet), Mk.IV, Mk.V, Mk.VI, Mk.VII

Gallery ammo, over 100 years old and still goes bang!

Commercial Lee Metford ammo

Plus one charger of Dominion Cordite Mk.VII dated 1917 in a Mk.III (WWI) charger.
This will be fired off this afternoon from a 1917 Sht.LE Mk.III* rifle in commemoration of Vimy Ridge.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 8:19am
The upper two packets in the first two photos came from an unopened case found buried under the floor of a Boer War blockhouse.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 8:37am
What kit did you use to put the plastic protection on the packets? Is it just Ceran wrap or is it heat shrink??
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

OK Sham, you got me.    I always load my chargers the "WRONG" way in your photo above.
How come the rim-locked version is "Right"??

Its going to depend a bit on which "wrong" you used. the ///// is workable on a range, but at night under battlefield conditions it has a top & a bottom! if you load it bottom up it will jam like crazy & probably not even feed into the magazine.
If you used the "wrong" up/down, then you should get a rim lock frequently at round 6 as you fire the magazine.
The real "magic" is when the locked-looking charger is pushed down into the magazine they magically sort themselves into a non rim locked layout, even when the second charger is rammed down on top of them.

Short answer though is "Because its what God & the sergeant-major said"!
Confused

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 9:35am

Heatshrunk, using a hot air gun with care! 

Terry
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 11:48am
Very nice!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 6:19am
Thanks for the answer, Shamu!

Never had a rim-lock loading the "wrong" way around, though I know enough to shove the rim -ends well down so as to re-stack themselves correctly. 
Thanks again.

Richard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 6:27am
Pukka, that is the magic of the Lee design!

If I get rim lock happening in the mag, I just push the rounds down as far as I can with my thumb to the bottom (doesnt work with a full or nearly full mag) and they sort themselves out and are good to go.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 9:23am
Yes pushing the first "stack" FULLY into the magazine is important, but not many know that where you push down also matters!
If you look at the left side wall of the receiver there's a cutout (scallop) that is for the thumb of the right hand to push down into. If you push to far forwards the magic leaks out & they wont jiggle into place!
Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic