Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1917 modifyed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 5:39am
They were originally blued, but not polished.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 5:49am

Just recived the first parts from UK today. It looks very nice and solid, hopefuĺly it fits perfektly too
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:11am

Here is some pictures of the barrel
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:17am

Rear handguard, orginal with a crack on right side, the one I recived today left . Boht with a P stamped
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:32am

Hopefuĺly some of theese stamps could tell you experts any story of this rifle:)
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:36am

One more of the barrel
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:54am
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 6:55am
Finaly some other stamps
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 9:43am
Your 1917 vintage Lee Enfield's original metal finish would have been a 'slow rust blue', otherwise know (by the Brits) as 'browning'.

A brand of browning solution called "Laurel Mountain Forge" has my recommendations.

Stay away from cold blue, the instant stuff that comes in a bottle. It isn't correct, is not durable, smells like copper chemicals and is a sure sign on a vintage rifle that somebody has been messing with it.

Sometimes when I pick up a pretty rifle, the smell gives me the first clue. It screams AMATEUR! 

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 9:58am
Bolt & barrel have different numbers
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:05am
Your barrel has been replaced. A rifle of this vintage could have had more than one barrel change in its lifetime.
Note the left side of the barrel reinforce. British govt broad arrow acceptance marking and a two digit date. It appears to be '55? or is it '35?, or '22? Not clear to me. It is an Enfield made barrel.

On the right hand side of the barrel reinforce, there is a small rectangle stamp. This denotes a spare part from stores.

J216 is an interesting marking that I do not know.

Lots of RSAF Enfield inspector markings from when it has visited the factory for repairs.

The small parts on the rifle have a mixture of manufacturers, which would be expected on a rifle that has been repaired in service.

I see no commercial proof markings, which suggests to me that from wherever this rifle came, it was not through the British Gun Trade as a commercial sale of a surplus rifle. This fits with the scenario of it being a war time govt supplied arm.
It is most definitely not a surplus rifle sold post war buy a British dealer.

More than once I have examined a nice early rifle purported to have been brought home by a soldier or relative from the war.  I debunk the story by finding post war commercial proofs marks with a date code in the 1950s or 1960s.

You have a nice example. Just be aware that refinishing the rifle may improve its appearance, but can hurt its collectable value.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:08pm
really great pics.
Wish I had a camera that sharp!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:27pm
Thanks for all your information, its realy good help to me. My plan was first of all to make it back to what it was made. My old man got this from my grandfather in the 60ies and he is the one that terminated this rifle in to a hunting rifle, been telling him this several times, so now Id hoped to repear his actions with this nice weapon when he's still around:) Have a gunsmedth friend who do browning with heated bath and he told me to ask in the forum for edwise. So then we go for browning:)
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:29pm
By the way, my samsung tlf takes the pictures:)
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:48pm

Hopefuĺly this will be recived, and in the same condition as handguards I recived today:)
A gui named Daniel Volmart as some of you probebly knows, could sell me all metalparts and slinge for about 100£. Think its a fear price :) He hadent seen wood parts for a Nr 1 for over 10 years

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:50pm
You are restoring this piece, for that you have to be commended.

Collector value will suffer, but, if you are having the metal professionally done and replacing wood to enhance it cosmetically, then it will be a fine looking rifle. It will be good for at least another 100 years, and with it a story and some family history. Well done sir!

BSA had beautiful bluing. It was deep blue, but not shiny.

The wood was finished with raw linseed oil.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic