Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1917 modifyed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

The repair to the butt stock is a factory modification.

As I understand, at that time there was a shortage of normal length butt stocks, but a surplus inventory of the short length ones. Waste not, want not, the frugal Brits converted a large batch of short butts to long.

The short length butts were cut back to remove the butt plate inletting, and then extended to normal length using a nice strong dovetail joint. Now that is craftsmanship (and a sharp machine operator)!

So although it may appear to be a repair, the butt could have been fitted when the rifle was manufactured and it was on there from factory new. I have exactly the same butt modification on one of my rifles. So neatly done, I think that it looks nice.

Personally, I would leave it on there. It is factory correct and a nice variation for viewers of your collection to see and comment upon.

The 77 marking, you mention that it is also marked on the front of the fore arm? If so, it is likely to be an armourer's assembly mark to keep the wooden parts with the correct rifle when undergoing repair on the bench.

Holy crap, Englishman! Thumbs Up   I never knew about that splice being factory done. Thanks a ton for that information!
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 1:02pm
If he just didnt cut off the wood and throw away all the front parts:)
Thank you sir, for your edwise, its trubeling me to resore a 100 years item, but l realy like the orginaly shape, and it will be carefully restored.
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 1:08pm
It appears that the wood pice at the butstock is mutch harder than walnut
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 1:29pm

Even this gui wonders how we gonna do any hunting when the weapon is in pieces
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 2:22pm
Enfield did a similar thing with the Martini Henry butt stocks too. Early into production, they were still in the process of defining/refining as to what length of pull a standard rifle should have. 

The normal became the short length stock, long became the new normal, and the short stocks were extended to become long length or something in that vein. Some are so well done one has to catch the grain in the light to see the joint.

Long length, normal, short and bantam. Lets one custom fit the rifle to the shooter. ;)
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 2:32pm
Conclusion is that mayby the soldier who served with my rifle, got it customised for its use
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 12:44am
An other interesting qestion, is the sights welded with silver or are they pressed into the barrel. In a blueing prosess its important to desamble all part to unvoi any misscoloring after.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 7:52am
The rifle should be completely dismantled for bluing with the exception that the barrel can be left mounted onto the receiver.

The front sight is indexed onto the barrel with a small key and is fixed in position with a small cross pin.

The rear sight base is indexed onto the barrel by use of the sight leaf spring securing screw. The base also has a small cross pin.

Nothing should be soldered but both sight bases are a tight fit and need to be driven forward with a hardwood punch to get them moving. The barrel has a taper, so once they start to move, they will come off.

I suppose that a soldier could request the regimental armourer fit a longer butt if needed. But if the soldier was tall and had long arms, it would be more likely that he would trade his rifle with the Company Quartermaster for a different rifle with a longer butt.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 10:14am
Ok I see. Its always good to learn from someone with experianse, l got some other hunting rifles, but here is everything different.Ive see some videos guis hunting with theese rifels, where they have mont. optics to it. Is this some new kind of options made for Lee enfield rifels in the latest?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 1:29pm
Add on mounts exist in 2 versions. "No Drill, No Tap" where they are designed to use existing bolts (like the safety pivot & the ejector screw) with longer replacement bolts to attach. These are preferred as they don't damage the original rifle.
There are also "drill & tap types" where you make threaded holes in the rifle & bolt to them.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/smle-mk-iii-1-303-cal-receiver-scope-mount?a=1722986

https://www.amazon.com/ATI-303-Enfield-Scope-Mount/dp/B000KOS0Q2

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 10:16am
Well, ok I wouldnt do any drilling to this rifle anyvay, just curius. And I think its best with a drilled and modifyed montage for optiks anyway. To use existig boltholes couldent be a solid and stabil mont.?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 1:52pm
Oh it can be!
Approve
I have both a No4 with a "Fultons of Bisley" ND/NT mount & its fine & a no5 with an S&K "Insatamount" & they're both fine & hold zero perfectly.
It depends on the details! HOW Exactly do the mounts attach, using what features? Some use pointed screws that dig into the metal. I don't find them anywhere as good.
Both the Fultons & the S&K clamp to the charger bridge & bolt to the rear sight mount pivot holes. Its surprisingly stable but completely reversible.
http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

You basically have 3 choices:
1: Drill & tap, permanently changing the rifle for ever.
2: Use a good, well designed ND/NT.
3: Don't use a scope!
To my mind ND/NT is the best possible compromise between the 3.
No4,Mk2 with the Fultons.

NO5 sporter with the S&K.

Fultons mount fittings (bottom view):

The S&K is very similar.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 1:55pm
Your mount would be different as your SMLE has a different method of sighting so its designed to work with your rifle. But the fact remains it can be done & done well.
Norwegian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norwegian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 12:51am
Hmmm...well offcourse it will be fun to testing my rifle when Iam done, and and at our lokal shooting trac we have 100 meters and 300 meters distanse, and without optics, Its little optimistic to go for 300   
So from what I can see in your pictures, and you realy got some beutiful rifles, optics montage looks solid. Did you shoot at 300 range?
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Norwegian Norwegian wrote:

, and and at , and without optics, Its little optimistic to go for 300   

Why?
I an 73 years old and my eyesight isn't what it once was but last Sunday I was shooting my SMLE MKIII and my No.4 at 300 yards and enjoying it. As well as ageing eyesight I suffer with a badly damaged shoulder so I can only shoot full bore rifles once a month.. It take 3 weeks to get over it
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 5:10am
Mostly to 200, but if I can get to a friends place in Pennsylvania we can go to 650.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic