Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Me and my No 4 MK 1: resto begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxpayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Me and my No 4 MK 1: resto begins
    Posted: May 12 2017 at 7:37pm
he!!o everyone. Sense my 45 70 idea tanked im now continuing my resto of this poor butched No 4 MK 1. Its a Matlby 1944 12650. I just got my bolt today and it came with a number 2 head. Its only missing the exractor bits. Im now on to getting a barrel thats appropriet length. Im going to try and make my own action wrench if i cant get it to fit ill get the brownells set. This rifle may never look as good as others nor have much value but ive always loved the enfield. I hope yall will enjoy this ride. It might be long and i might double post. Sorry ahead of time.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 11:24am
We look forward to seeing photos of the progress of your project rifle. 
I'm sure you'll be happy with the performance of the .303 round.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:12pm
dittos that , dont worry about boring us , we live for this , 
maxpayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxpayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:47pm
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 11:03am
Max:   I believe that I would be content with refinishing the stock and shooting that one.  Someone went to some trouble to cut the barrel and delete the hand guards to "Sporterize" that gun. I have seen many like it.

When I got mine it had been bubba'd as well.  I went the direction of Resto Mod on mine and ended up with this,,, which is pretty close to what you have right now.

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
maxpayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxpayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 11:21am
Thats something i wouldnt mind doing. I like it and it would save me some money. My next objective is geting some coin gauges for headspacing and a original length barrel. Also a set of sigths. My Mk 4 though according to research should have had a non adjustable rear sigth but the one on the gun was a stamped one and the perp cut the sigth micrometer off. Does anyone know where i could get a stamped rear sight thats not overly expensive?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 3:30pm
Get the "Okies".
http://okiegauges.com/
Pretty much the usual suspects, like Sarco. But if you change the caliber they'll be calibrated wrong.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 6:07pm
i cannot say i mind the look of those at all , if they shoot well i think i would enjoy them , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 9:17am
That is not a bad looking sporter at all. They do have a place in the collection and that looks fairly well done. As for the headspace gauges, I use the Okies as well. Very nice gauges.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:42am
It looks like it's been modified to Mk2 spec, so would be an FTR to No4 Mk1/2. Looking at the screw through the fore end; it's definitely the later type; so the trigger should also be modified to be hung on the receiver and not on the trigger guard as per the original No4 Mk1 version. 
Worth tidying up the finish and using it as is!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 8:21am
In bad light, at a distance and squinting, the L42 sniper rifle looks somewhat similar.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 9:20am
That's a LOT of squinting!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
maxpayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxpayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 2:44pm
Ok he!!o everyone time to get this thread back in action. After seeing more pics of a restored Mk4 and then running into barrels drying up i finally got back on track. I got a unmolested MK 4 barreled action. Just need a fore stock and a bunch of small parts. The only big thing left is i need a set of coin gauges and see if i need a different head. The current head is a #2. Thanks everyone and i cant wait to finish.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 6:42pm
Good luck and update when you can.

..............Thumbs Up..............
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 7:52pm
Where did you get the non 303 barrel from?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 7:38am
..He could tell you - but then he'd hafta kill you.
Sears don't tell Wal Mart their secrets.
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic