Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resistance No4 mk1 rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resistance No4 mk1 rifle.
    Posted: May 15 2017 at 11:44am
I have been very fortunate to acquire a 1944 Maltby No4Mk1 rifle that is from a local resistance arms drop. 
It has been extremely well kept over these last 70 odd years; and has hardly been used. 
With it came a cotton disposable type bandolier with 50 rounds in clips and the original bayonnet. 
There are only minor scrapes on the wood work and slight corrosion on front band and front sight protector.
The rest is in excellent condition. Head space is good, barrel is like new. There are very few signs of wear on the magazine platform . I don't think it's ever been apart, looking at the various screw heads; they look untouched.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 12:15pm
That's a great find, Zed! Congratulations!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 12:57pm
That looks fantastic (It's always the "other" guy!! .

Looks like all you need is some Chargers, & Bobs yer Uncle!
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:08pm
great find , congrats 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:47pm
Sweet!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 10:08am
Here's the ammo bandolier: with some extra clips of the same vintage.

And a close up of the wire clip; obviously for one time use only!

And the bayonnet.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 1:50pm
Nice! Whats the headstamp(s)?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 4:02pm
you did well , nice mkIII bayo and what appears to be a mkII scabbard , vintage chargers and ammo , cloth bandolier , 
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 7:39am
Excellent find. Lucky old you.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 9:56am
I'll have a look at the head stamps this week. I've got the week off work so should find some time to get some photos; but I won't be back on line until next week.
Also got a competition next week. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 5:22pm
good luck to you , shoot well , we will look forward to the pictures , congrats on a great rifle find , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 12:11pm
So just returned after a week's "vacation" at the house. Unfortunately vacation = digging up the garden and laying new drains for the house; so 12 hours work most days! Anyway got it done by the weekend so I could shoot at the regional finals. 
No time to practice during the week; I did OK but not my best with my trusty No4 Mk1/2 in the standard class; with a 144/200 and 9th place of 46 entries. 
The modified class was a disappointment with the No1 rifle, it's only the 3rd time I've shot it at 200 metres with the new sights; so ended up too high on the second series of 10 shot's, despite dropping a click before the start. I really need to practice more at this distance. Scored 127/200 and 15th place.

Regarding the bayonnet, it's marked as No4Mk2 and the scabard has a mark on the top which says Mk1 then some other numbers. Did not take photos yet , but I'll get there soon.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 8:50am
Very beautiful rifle! If you wouldn't mind, Zed, when you get some time could take a few pictures of the left front side of the receiver it would be appreciated. I am interested in the inspection stamps in that area. Also, have you had it apart at all? I am curious if there are any letters or numbers stamped on the bottom of the wrist, the area normally covered by the trigger guard.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:44am
I won't get to strip it down for a few weeks as have got some family over on the weekends. So probably no shed time!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 6:12pm
do get bear the data when you can he is compiling a maltby book and this will add greatly to the knowledge base for all of us , 

congrats again on a wonderful find , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 12:03pm
Bear has the numbers; but I will probably have to wait a while to strip it and get all the small details photographed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic