Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bullet selection for 1,000yard shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manseroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bullet selection for 1,000yard shooting
    Posted: May 22 2017 at 5:43am
Hi folks .
 I will engage in shooting my Enfield at 1,000 yards and have only experimented at 100yards with 150 Grain bullets . I'm assuming I will need to go to a heavier bullet 200 Grain .215? Grain and Powder? If so where is the best source in Canada .
 Cheers Ed.
Bancroft
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 4:01pm
I would suggest either a 174 boatail or the Sierra 180 grain spire point
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 5:52pm
Goodness! I have no idea how accurate you would be able to get an Enfield at 1000 yards. Do please let us know how you fare. I'd find it interesting.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 8:34pm
I know a Palma Shooter from my gun club and they shoot out to 1000  but are restricted to one particular bullet  a 155 grain thing
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Pedro Pedro wrote:

Goodness! I have no idea how accurate you would be able to get an Enfield at 1000 yards. Do please let us know how you fare. I'd find it interesting.

We used to shoot that far with iron sights!
5' square BIMO target.

"The diameters of the "V" ring, bull, inner, magpie and outer are related to the natural spread of point of impact of the round under consideration. The data used comes from extensive testing with rigidly mounted test barrels.

The particular target illustrated at right is of a type used in 1970, 48" square and with 3.5" "V" ring, 5" bull, 12" inner, 24" Magpie with the outer at 48" (the corners being 'Wash Outs').

For some purposes a 1" white paper disc is pasted over the dead centre of the bull. (Not shown in the picture). On some occasions, a white rectangle 2" wide x 3" tall was installed over the centre of the bull."

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 6:43am
As above, the  174 gr service bullet, or the 180 gr Sierra is likely  best,  ( if you can find them. )
Your rifle may possibly need a going over, as if it is a normal service rifle, it will be some time since it was last in an armourer's hands.
With longer range, a lot of it comes down to form, wind -reading and taking a consistent sighting.
If you are a newcomer to the L-E, try for consistency first at short range, say 100 -300 yards.

Do let us know how it goes!

R.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 9:31am
The Sierra 174 Gr matching is an excellent choice too.
I'm with Pukka, start short & walk your way out, it takes time, but its worth the effort, besides after you've shot 600 & longer you'll find 200 & 300 a doddle by comparison!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic