Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newbie here - questions about JJCO NY imports of 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie here - questions about JJCO NY imports of 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BostonBillyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie here - questions about JJCO NY imports of 1
    Posted: June 22 2017 at 4:54pm
Howdy everyone,

I'm brand new to collecting so pardon me if this topic has been discussed or resolved. I've done a fair amount of reading on the topic but can't seem to get a solid read on what exactly I just purchased. happy

I bought a beautiful gun. It's probably the nicest condition I've seen for a Lee Enfield. Seems to have coachwood furniture. All serial numbers match including the one of the back of the site and end of the fore barrel. It's tight as can be. Looks parkerized. Don't see any paint anywhere. The furniture is virtually flawless aside from a few stamps. There's a tiny bit of rust on the inside of the magazine. Otherwise it's damp with oil and pristine. Bolt seems smooth. I am most curious what ya'll think about this rifle and whether you think it will need the recoil plates I've read about. I really want to use this gun regularly. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Can't wait to begin the adventure of collecting old milsur! I have more photos I will attach in another post. Also, I've yet to see a 1945 anywhere online yet...
BostonBillyBob
1945 Lee Enfield SMLE MkIII* Lithgow
BostonBillyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BostonBillyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 7:53pm
By the way, by simply removing the bolt and the magazine I was able to see that the recoil blocks were installed!
BostonBillyBob
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 9:31pm
i think your start on milsurps has been a great one , be careful LEs are addicting , 

looks like a real nice , all matching lithgow mkIII* , most likely is coachwood and yest i think you need the plates if they are not there , but others more knowledgeable of aussie rifles will jump in if im in error , we have quite a few here , 

i have a 1945 but its canadian , they are out there - so not rare by any means , end of war condition seems to be better preserved versions , 

i think you did well , and welcome to the site , 

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 4:11am
Nice Aussie example. Real nice.
You even have the sling.
Was there an oil bottle in the stock? Did you get the stick-bit as well?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 5:06am
You now have one very nice SMLE MkIII* .
I bet in 3 years you will own at least 3 Enfields. The danger is that you may wish to add one made in England, First World War, Second World War, an Indian (Ishapore) and that's before you start to explore the No.4's, No.5's. The list goes on for pages.

The good point? is that where you are you can just buy them whereas over here in the UK one has  to go through hoops to get permission to buy including Police checks, Special Branch checks and 'a good reason to possess'
Despite that a friend of mine has amassed 38 Enfield rifles.

Best of luck and be prepared for a lifestyle change  Thumbs Up
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 8:30pm
i missed that we were talking specific about the JJCO rifle , that adds another twist to your story , these were assembled by them post war , all original parts and nothing wrong with them i can see , it explains more of the pristine condition and finish , they used up everything that was left in the same way that the originals were produced , 
BostonBillyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BostonBillyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 10:20pm

In this photo, you can see the recoil plates. I even scratched them with a stitch puller to make sure I could tell they were metal. My question is, is this gun safe to fire without further work? I've been reading all sorts of chatter about these recoil plates and I can't seem to get a solid answer. Anybody know about this?
BostonBillyBob
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 2:21am
Crikey, that's one nice rifle there. Well done! At first when I looked at the pictures I thought that someone had done a lot of work on that rifle. It looks great.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 5:45am
You done good!
JJ had some issues with collectability. To a collector they were thought of as second grade "bitsters" & many of them were. Now it seems that JJ bought many Lithy parts, but also some complete rifles as well, but the "Bitster" label stuck.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 9:47pm
it is nice , as stated above , that you have a decent brit sling , it appears - what little we see - to be correct and original , if you have the cleaning kit in the buttrap its one more plus 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

it is nice ,   , if you have the cleaning kit in the buttrap its one more plus 

If not they come up on e-bay.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 5:48am
As far as I can tell its safe to fire, but I don't actually have it in my grubby paws.

If you're concerned (which I would not be with an all matching serial numbers rifle), have a smith do a head-space check for the sake of confidence. If it passes an 0.074" FIELD gauge then its GTG. The gauge may have several name but the important part is the bolt should not close & lock fully on a  0.047" gauge whatever its called.

Most of the confusion comes from multiple different international gauging conventions.

The brass inserts were to prevent compression of the coach-wood over time, if they're fitted its fine.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 6:50pm
generally the recoil plates are small square 'washers' of sort screwed into the wood , either brass or steel , i'm sorry i don't have photos to show - im having photobucket issues AGAIN , however , im not seeing them in that photo but that does not mean it is unsafe to shoot , have it checked by a competent gunsmith for headspace and such , i think ...think...it looks good to go but im not a gunsmith or armorer , the rifle "looks" perfect from your photos - we have not the ability to actually handle it , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 8:48am
A square: you can just see the plates & screws in the image looking up into the receiver. They are there.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 7:30pm
ya hey - my eyes are not what they used to be , thats why i phrased it so carefully , glad to know the proper kit is in place 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic