Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just need a point in the right direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abgwa1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just need a point in the right direction
    Posted: July 18 2017 at 5:26pm
Hey everybody. I recently purchased my first enfield no.1 mkiii* made in 1917 and whoever had it before me sporterized it. I really love the gun but I want it to look as original as possible. the problem I'm running into is I don't know where to start looking for a replacement stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 4:49am
The first question is has the barrrel been shortened? The barrel should be about 25" long. If it has been shortened it will be very expensive to restore. If not start watching ebay, GunBroker for wood and parts. Also check with Springfield Sporters, Liberty Tree Collectors and Numrich for parts. Finally, I recommend picking up a copy of Small Arms Identification Series No 1 by Ian Skennerton. It contains a bit of history on the No 1's as well as handy exploded views that list all the parts so you will know what all you need.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 7:47am
There are a couple of complete sets on e-bay right now. Also there's someone starting up making modern repros for "a reasonable rice" soon, keep the ol' ears open.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 6:05pm
good luck on your restoration , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 10:53am
If you are going to replace the woodwork; make sure you read all you can about how to fit it. 
The accuracy of the rifle depends on properly fitted wood. It's not that complicated; but it does need some attention to detail regarding where the wood contacts the metalwork.

Rodger Wadham's book on accurising Lee Enfields is very useful; although he also goes beyond the standard fitting and into preparation for competition bedding etc. There are also many useful articles by a British armourer, Captain Peter Laidler. They are found on Milsurp.com
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic