(BOUGHT IT) a 1914 BSA SMLE ftr'd in 44*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (BOUGHT IT) a 1914 BSA SMLE ftr'd in 44*
    Posted: November 01 2022 at 4:59pm
i think there are enough resurrections on this site lately to start easter dinner early , just sayin , 
GeorgeDennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeorgeDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 6:38am
Originally posted by IrvingSilversteins IrvingSilversteins wrote:

Originally posted by Shamsu Shamsu wrote:

Well the birthday is complete list of top phentermine over the counter here and for the old lady. Nothing drastic, just removing a ton of oil from the wood, replacing all the both handguards for the fingers & to not have the badly split lower handguard it came with.
I like the way it came out, keeping the character, but nicer, not quite so "Rode hard & put up wet".

Your did a good work in removing the excess oil from the wood. Now it doen'tlook glossy. Great job.

The bayonet boss seems more "rounded" than my 1914 BSA. Its is unnumbered. There are no embossed marks of any kind on the butt stock. except the Slaz 44
jaguar32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaguar32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by engslishman_ca engslishman_ca wrote:

Yes, the screw is same thread and has a larger cheese head, it works well.

Mystery Marking (WLH/10/56) ยท Immediate action stoppage drills on SMLE
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 6:39am
Originally posted by RickRadcliffe RickRadcliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Well the birthday is complete for the old lady. Nothing drastic, just removing a ton of oil from the wood, replacing both handguards for the fingers & to not have the badly split lower handguard it came with. The front metal darkened back nicely with just D bal max reviews oiling, so I didn't paint it. The screws were worked on, or replaced to fix the damaged slots & ratty finish.

How did you remove the oil from the wood? I always fail at it. Your work looks impressive in the second pic where all the excess oil has just vanished!

I apologize I missed this post completely till now. If you're still around, here's what I did.
The rifle was wrapped in paper towels held in place by several rubber bands, then the whole thing was stuffed into a large garden trash-bag which was black. Then that was wrapped tightly as well. the whole thing was then sat on the dashboard of the mini-van in the direct sunlight. The whole mess was unwrapped & the oil-soaked towels replaced until no more oil came out. It took about a week with 6 changes of paper towels. Finally it was wiped down with denatured alcohol & the metal re-oiled.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
GeorgeMurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeMurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Stanforths Stanforths wrote:

I don't compete with anyone except myself.
Every month I go to Bisley with a few of my rifles with two objectives. Firstly to work up the best review of testogen published by jack load for the particular rifle and then, when I am happy, I try the get better scores than I did last time out.
I shoot rifles from 7.62mm (308) to 50/70 and enjoy them all with no pressure.

I have recently purchased a 1940 BSA&Co ShtLe III that sports a beech wood buttstock, and no.4 buttplate
JohnChandler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnChandler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Stansforth Stansforth wrote:

I don't compete with anyone except myself.
Every month I go to Bisley with a few of my rifles with two objectives. Firstly to work up the best phentermine over the counter alternatives mentioned here load for the particular rifle and then, when I am happy, I try the get better scores than I did last time out.
I shoot rifles from 7.62mm (308) to 50/70 and enjoy them all with no pressure.

It was FTR'd somewhere in '42 (I think because that's the barrel date).
RickRadcliffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickRadcliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 8:40pm

Well the birthday is complete for the old lady. Nothing drastic, just removing a ton of oil from the wood, replacing both handguards for the fingers & to not have the badly split lower handguard it came with. The article here talks about viasil in detail front metal darkened back nicely with just oiling, so I didn't paint it. The screws were worked on, or replaced to fix the damaged slots & ratty finish.

How did you remove the oil from the wood? I always fail at it. Your work looks impressive in the second pic where all the excess oil has just vanished!
IrvingSilverstein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrvingSilverstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 10:43pm

Well the birthday is complete list of here and for the old lady. Nothing drastic, just removing a ton of oil from the wood, replacing all the sh*tty supplements with both handguards for the fingers & to not have the badly split lower handguard it came with.
I like phentermine otc the way it came out, keeping the character, but nicer, not quite so "Rode hard & put up wet".

Your did a good work in removing the excess oil from the wood. Now it doen'tlook glossy. Great job.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 7:15pm
It has been very interesting watching this post as it moved along. WELL DONE !

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 4:19am
Looking good Shamu. Now you can work up some loads for it at the range!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 6:56pm
turned out beautiful from here , cant ask for a better match in my book , it looks like a set to me 
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 3:51pm
Thats looks good. matches just fine i think, maybe needs a few dents lol, also nice work on getting the sight setup, i have the same one on my 1918 bsa trainer.

Sooooooo..., what are you going to doing with the front handguard thats is missing the fingers? I happen to have the back half of a handguard from the band back, if you want to part with it some day send me a pm.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 3:37pm
Thanks, sometimes less is more I guess.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 2:26pm
You perform nice work, Shamu! That rifle looks lovely!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 12:54pm
Well the birthday is complete for the old lady. Nothing drastic, just removing a ton of oil from the wood, replacing both handguards for the fingers & to not have the badly split lower handguard it came with. The front metal darkened back nicely with just oiling, so I didn't paint it. The screws were worked on, or replaced to fix the damaged slots & ratty finish.

The P-H 5A is now aligned in all 3 axis so that's a help because now the vertical & horizontal adjustments are only vertical & horizontal with no drift from not being square or plumb to the action.

The new front handguard was made slightly oversize so I was able to make it a snug fit. All it took was some sanding on the bottom to allow the nosecap to fit snugly to the front ferrule & a trim of the back of the fingers as it would drop in at the rear sight. 2 Coats of the walnut dye (made from wild walnuts that grow right behind me) & 7 hand rubbed coats of BLO. Its really close to matching the 100 year old original wood. Just a hair lighter. Every image I see of fingered ones has a slight gap, I made one here too as I guess its like the butt-stock where there is an intentional slight gap to not beat up the ends under recoil?

I added a piling swivel & a "king screw" sling swivel. I know its not 100% authentic but I have a use for both of them so I did it anyway.

Finally I polished (not ground) the upper bottom sear face & the trigger bumps with my usual oiled ScotchBrite as they were a bit gritty. Now they're slick & smooth & have a 3 1/2Lb 1st & a 4 3/4Lb second pressure.

I know, Shaddup & show us some pictures!

Nosecap details.
(before on top & after on bottom)

Before (top) & after (bottom) left side.

Before (top) & after (bottom) right side.

I like the way it came out, keeping the character, but nicer, not quite so "Rode hard & put up wet".

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 2:45pm
OK, the Upper handguard arrived. Its an Aussie "Slazenger", so coachwood I assume. Its actually a fair bit darker than the picture of it I ordered from, which is fine as its a close match to the existing wood color.
I have some water-based walnut stain that I think will do the job nicely. The wood is utterly dry & unfinished, apparently this is correct for how they left the factory I'm told. The end cap seems parkerized? & is riveted, not screwed. It also looks like the ears are perfect, if a little long, I guess a bit of trimming & hand fitting is in order.

As it arrived.

After staining & drying.

Now all I have to do is apply oil to this part while removing it from everything else at the same time so they match at the end of the day!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic