Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1925 RFI Sht LE III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpert16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1925 RFI Sht LE III
    Posted: August 01 2017 at 7:19pm
I recently acquired this No 1 manufactured in 1925 and have a few questions someone may be able to answer.  The rifle is marked III with no star.  It has the slot for the cutoff, but no cutoff.  Has the sight for III* and no volley sights.  Rifle, bolt, magazine all matching numbers but I don't think the magazine is original to the rifle.  Pictures attached.
#1.  Should it not have the III* at that time or added later?
#2.  I can't see any evidence (stampings) of FR or FTR but it appears to have received replacement furniture, one barrel ring and, at some point, another nose cap with force matched serial number.  The foreend has a different serial number on the underside near the junction of the nose cone. Assuming it never went back to India, so no Ishy screw.  Field repairs instead of FR/FTR?
#3.  Stamped with the letters P.R on the barrel knox.  Any idea.  The barrel knox also has a rusty spot with  an * beside it.  Not sure if that refers to the rust spot or rust in barrel.
Barrel was quite filthy but cleaned up ok.  I don't see any rust sports in the bore.
#4. I can't find an acceptance date or mark anywhere on the rifle except the broad arrow on the sight ears that appears from another rifle at some point.  Any insight would be appreciated.
Xpert16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpert16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 7:21pm
Some additional photos.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 1:43am
I have a Ishapore SMLE MkIII (not III*) made in 1931.
Exactly like yours with the slab cocking piece, no volley sights but with a cut off.

The wartime expedients were dropped in the 1920's and the MKIII was reintroduced.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 8:08pm
the indians used FR instead of FTR fwtw , 

i found , when briefly into indian rifles , that they did not follow normal conventions in mfgr so you cannot apply what you know of rifles mfgd in england or australia to these rifles straight across , you should look into "the enfield story" its the bible we live with so far , you may well get the answers you seek - i will look when i have time , not tonight tho - goin to bed 

looks to be a fine rifle , i think you did well getting it , 
Xpert16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpert16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 6:53pm
Another question.  At some point this rifle received a replacement fore end of MkIII* type with the higher wall that covers over the cut off slot.  My other No 1 is a 1917 BSA MkIII* (no cut off slot) and has a replacement fore end that is the low wall type MkIII type.  Since neither are original to the rifles in question, are there any significant issues with simply swaping these two fore ends?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 5:55am
Possibly.
Most of it will be detail fitting of wood to metal which is a hands on job & slightly unique to each individual rifle. You may need to swap trigger groups as well (experimentally) as trigger pull & feel is dependent on individual stock thickness & fitting.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 7:21pm
i thgink you will find them compatible within the confines of shamus catutions because the indian equipment was shipped from england and overseen by them in colonial times , there should not be any major issues at all , 

im one to try to keep things original but i have in the past made appropriate exchanges - mostly a couple no 4 handguards that came wrong to start and a repro mkI*** rear handguard that was not attainable in original , 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 1:50am
Due to an accident (not a shooting one) I had to restock my Ishapore MKIII. I fitted a new forend, no issue not even light trimming. Because the butt stock now looked odd I fitted an new one. The only one at hand was a new, unissued No.4 butt stock. Guess what, straight on the only issue was the butt cap needed some wood removing from the stock to make it fit as the MKIII butt cap is smaller than the No.4.

Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Xpert16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpert16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 8:18pm
Thanks.  Actually both stocks  English made as both rifles had, at some point received replacement fore arms.  My goal was to get the MkIII stock on the MkIII and the III* (high wall) on the MKIII*.

The low wall stock uncovered the magazine cutoff and I'm think remounting a cutoff on it.  I shot the RFI today with the exchanged fore end.  Seems fine and grouped ok but did shoot low for the sights.  It has a +3 blade installed.  Not sure if the fore end change is causing the low POI.  I didn't shoot it before the swap.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 7:07pm
im glad there are still those out there doing this refurbishment with the care you all have expressed , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic