Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WWII Photos of the liberation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 12:02pm
So here are a few more photos from the archive.

this is the crew of the Jeep Flying Coffin; having a refreshment break!

My neighbour recognised the young man in the centre of this photo. He was a friend of his Father's and part of the local resistance. 

Please feel fee to add your own photos; even stuff from the Gulf wars etc. (I was working in Saudi when that all kicked off in Kuwait.)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 7:48pm
"...The US Air Force bombed the town just before the liberation......"

that would be the US ARMY AIR CORPS , we did not officially have an air force at that time came along after , but there was a definite distinction even then 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 11:40am
Yes of course "US Army Air Corps" my mistake!

I have a US leather flying helmet, it is stamped "Army Air Forces" what period would that be from?

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 2:13pm
Before 18 September 1947 That's when the U.S. Air Force was created.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 6:22pm
i am thinking that helmet predates the change , but i cannot date it , looks to be a fighter pilots but im not really up on this gear - 

all my fathers got donated to a museum that sold it off under the table before i could get it , his was high altitude leather/fleece as in real sheep stuff , i think they cooked at takeoff - froze at 30.000 on route to and from - but had little time to think of it over target with the flack and fighters , he is no longer here to consult , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 1:09pm
A few more from the archive. A truck load of German prisoners in the town centre.

And a trophy for the Jeep.

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 1:24pm
Fritz must have had a headache after that. (with all due respect, I know many German soldiers hated being in that war.)
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 11:06am
A few more photos from the archive.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:46pm
there is so much to be thankful for in spite of all the rubish in the news today , 

it was a different time and as much as the aftermath was what i grew up in and appreciate we no longer have those values or appreciation of where we are -what we have-what can be in the future , it was a time of unlimited possibilities based on how hard you looked and worked , 

today it seems we have a dependency on how much you can manipulate a technology and some social media connection , im not good at either - i still work hard and will till i cannot contribute , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 4:31am
I must admit that I fail to understand why companies that have no real product, can be worth billions!
If the internet was shut down; they would be worthless in an instant.

Also when you see young soccer stars earning 30,000,000 Euro's a year for one or two 90 minute games a week; it's just obscene! You could build a hospital with that!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 6:02am
Its mainly advertising space they sell. Just look at Sears or wal mart .com its all other totally unrelated small businesses selling via the big companies who are selling the name.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 9:34am
Getting back on track! a few more photos from the liberation.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 3:47pm
thanks this is really interesting abnd fun to see . 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 8:55am
I'm curious. How much of the town has changed over the years?
The small French towns I remember from the 1960's & 70's are basically the same except for minor things & repairs to damage & so on.

Odd story.
I went to Bayeux regularly, not for the tapestry, which Id seen already, but because within a block of the cathedral there was a row of mom & pop stores where I'd shop for French delicacies that weren't easily found in the U.K. back then. This was on a motorcycle & I'd fill the side boxes with extra strong garlic sausage & cheeses & so on. By the time I got back to British customs they were pretty ripe! I think HM Customs gave the newbie the job of checking my imports as some odd rite of passage!
Wacko
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 12:14pm
It's been a while , so thought I'd post a few more photos.

First two photos are the market square. Last one is I believe looking from under the viaduct,( one of the main pillar's visible on the right).

I forgot to get some photo's of present day; must remember to take my camera to town.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2018 at 7:45pm
another aniversary has come and gone , at least there are some of us that remember - i heard and read nothing in media , if we were speaking german today a lot of them would not exist , a small thanks to the WWII generation is in order 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic