Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identify enfield sniper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webco317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identify enfield sniper
    Posted: August 10 2017 at 8:18pm
This was passed down from my father who always told me that it was an Enfield sniper rifle from the World War 1. I've done some research online and tried to compare photos. I can't find anything that matches at 100%. The only numbers I see are the number 3 0 0 on the rear sight I see the manufacturer's Mark or inspectors mark and then there's three numbers at the top and then two numbers that look like 11 at the bottom near the rear sight as well. Possibly serial number? Can anyone look at the photos and give me some advice? I do have many more photos too.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 7:03pm
OK , these had serial numbers matchin on the bolt.barrel.knox,bayonet boss [that is missing as this has been sported ] under side of the rear sight ladder and the magazine bottom , there was once top wood on it as well , thats all i can say from your photos , we need close ups of markings to give you more , 

the barrel looks original and the front sight looks intact - makes it a candidate for refurb in my book , 
Webco317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webco317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 2:07am
Webco317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webco317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 2:09am
This is all I can locate and it reads HA24604a and b1 1128 I believe
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 7:38am
Not a WW1 rifle; it is a No 4 so WW2 vintage at least. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 8:41am
Agreed its a No4 of some kind, (there were several variations), you can tell because of the rear sight being a peep, the No1 was an open sight on the barrel. The "3-0-0" is actually not a serial number, but a range setting there should be a 300 (for 300yds) & a 500 (for 500yds). Can you see the "wrist" (the dark metal "band around the wood")? It should have markings on it which will tell us more. If not they'd be on the flat left side of the receiver. There should be a number on the rear face of the bolt handle also.

Its been turned into a sporting rifle by having wood removed & modified, which is probably why you're having a hard time identifying it. If it was a sniper it will have 2 "pads" bolted to the flat left side of the receiver both with a dovetail & an open screw thread.

This is a WW1 SMLE. The complex rear sight is an after market target type & wouldn't have been fitted to the original you can see the military open sight part way along the barrel.:

& your No4 would have looked like this in its original configuration.

It looks like you could restore it by swapping out the wood if the mood takes you as the barrel hasn't been shortened. (a common difficult to fix change)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 9:49am
If it was originally a sniper version, that has had the scope and mounting removed; it would be seen on the left side of the receiver. So a close up photo of that would be useful. There are also a number of specific markings stamped on the metal and woodwork etc. From the photo's posted it's obviously been sportered by cutting the wood. Barrel appears not cut which is good; so could be rebuilt to original spec'.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Webco317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webco317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 10:01am
Thank you to all! You have been very helpful. It is very likely that it is World War II I might have misremembered which war my father said it was from and he might have just missed identified as a sniper I had originally thought it was a number four but as you had stated because it's missing some wood I could not identify it. Obviously without a ton more pictures you can't give me a hundred percent but does anybody have just a ballpark as the what this would be worth in the condition it's in and also restored. Is it worth restoring? Thanks again
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 10:22am
It "looks" like it hasn't been cut down, so it probably is a candidate for restoring. But - we have to get more info out of it first. We don't even know what shape the rifling is in.
You gotta help us help you
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 2:37pm
Yes the Devil is in the details.
Things like bore condition, matching, or fully matching numbers, head-spacing & general condition all have an effect.
From what we can tell, which is very little at this point somewhere between $90.00 for a ratty non matching sporter with a dodgy barrel to $150 as a fully matching, good condition sporter with no dinged up parts.
A full set of wood & furniture will run you somewhere close to $175 through the MilSurp Dealers or e-pay. A rebuilt rifle is again dependent on the same details for value. Range is $175~450.
Sorry I can't be more accurate but good pics of markings & so on will narrow it down a lot.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 7:33pm
if its a number 4 it is marked on the left reciever or left wrist , those would help us identify it for you - then a value might be apparent , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 2:48am
..it also depends upon your geographical location for value.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Webco317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webco317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 3:20am
I truly appreciate everyone. I do not see the maekings that everyone is talking about but I have my answer. I just wanted a super rough estimate of value and to know more about it. I have learned that info from you guys. I did not believe it was a $10k valued rifle but just wanted to check. I will be leaving it in the family as an heirloom. Its worth a ton to me. Thanks again!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 5:50am
ts possible the markings were scrubbed (ground off), which would indicate a trip to India,as they regularly removed existing markings & added their own.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:36pm
The Enfield No4 Mk1 sniper rifle looks like this.

Hope this helps...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic