Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help pick rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help pick rifle
    Posted: August 24 2017 at 5:44am
So im trading some machine work/ parts for a CLLE and there is two to choose from. Im not sure what one to pick and i was looking for some opinions and thoughts.

So im thinking the "light colored one" is in far better shape and missing not nearly as many parts. But its non matching bolt.

The "dark colored one" is matching bolt but in worse shape. And the biggest kicker is the wood has been slightly cutout for a target sight.

That being said, i like the look of the " dark colored one" and that is also matching numbers. But the wood being cut has me thinking the " light colored one" may be better.

But im not sure how many chances ill get to pick up a CLLE in canada and maybe a matching orignal would be better then a nicer shape miss match,

Im thinking i may pick the " light colored one" but would like the hear thoughts. Ill add the discription i got for both the rifles.

Thanks

"
Here are two of the CLLE's that I would propose for you as part of our trade, if you're still up for that.  You'll have to pick between them- they each have pros and cons.

both have good bores.
the darker one has a matching bolt.
The lighter one has slightly better finish on the metal.
The darker one has mottled stains on the wood and a slight cut out for a target sight
the lighter one has a cool pivoting and rotating target sling swivel (that I only have one of)
the lighter one has a rack number on the butt plate (only one of my CLLEs that does)
both are Union Defence Forces marked (pre SADF in South Africa)
Both are BSA marked with no obvious dates
The darker one is missing the front sight protectors (they are often removed on the rifles I have)
both are missing the rear sling swivel, which I think is the same as the SMLE, as opposed to the MLE screw in ones
both seem to cycle and feed well from the magazine with .303 snap caps and have the correct CLLE mag (different from the MLE)"

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 8:41am
What about doing the trade for work performed AND cash for the other rifle that way you can have both?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 12:38pm
^^ yes that would be ideal, but the price is just too steep to be able to buy one. im able to machine stuff over time and just count the hours towards to total ill owe. He has some parts he needs modded and also a few things made. So i can get one at no money cost to me.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 12:56pm
You could always find a period target sight to fit on the dark one and you'll have a matching numbers target CLLE. That would be cool at the range too!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Pedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 1:13pm

I suppose what you are thinking is which one will eventually be more collectable and thus increase in value better. Tough question. In that case, I'd think I'd go with Zed's idea of having the darker one and take the gamble of finding a target sight. But if the one with the lighter/complete wood appeals to you more, then you'll enjoy owning it more. Boingg! Ball back in your court. Smile

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 6:16am
Whichever option you settle for you will wish you took the other later Unhappy
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

You could always find a period target sight to fit on the dark one and you'll have a matching numbers target CLLE. That would be cool at the range too!

Yup, you'd have Evie's brothers rifle from "The Mummy Returns" that way!
Oddly enough it looses the target sight between being removed from the carry case & firing on the pygmy mummies.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 4:53am
Zed, that is a good idea really, and probably the best if i am bale to find what type of sight was on the rifle, so the wooden cutout matches the sight, I'm going to do some poking around and see if  can figure what sight was on the rifle or what sight has a similar cutout for the wood.

Pedro, that is exactly what my issue is, the light colored one if more complete and in better shape, so to shoot and add to the collection its the better choice, but as a pretty rare piece in Canada i feel maybe getting the matching numbers one and finding the missing parts (a little work on my end) may end up up better in the long run.

you hit my problem bang on. and that didn't help because it was exactly what i was thinking lol

Stanforth, yes exactly lol, that is my issue

Shamu, i watched that movie a few months ago while and i loved his LE, there is a few cool rifles in that movie.

so i still have no idea which one lol. you all made valid points,  maybe ill ask for more pics lol, its hard to pick

thanks for the input so far
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 9:33am
I actually owned the same model fitted case he had in the beginning, some kind of pressed fiber with a wood insert set. I think it was made by EMF, or was it AMF I forget?

So tewwibly Bwitish, carrying his Long Lee through impenetrable jungles in his "take it to the range" box.Tongue
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 5:38pm
i would gladly talke the one you dont want , it would not matter to me but the darker is the one i lean toward for sme reason , 
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 12:56pm
Well just to let you guys know. I picked the dark colored rifle. Im going to start looking for a front sight protector and ill figure out what target sight was on it.

Also ill post more pics once the rifle is in hand.

Thanks for helping me pick guys.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 2:09pm
It almost looks like a cut for a folding BSA No9.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic